Our mission is to end the needless loss of life in the poorest countries caused by a lack of effective health care. We help communities set up medical services for the long term including hospitals, clinics, surgeries and training for nurses and other health workers.
We do whatever it takes and we stay for as long as it takes.
Context and Background
Main purpose of the role
Overall Objectives (scope)
- Responsible to manage the recruitment process for all national staff within Somalia and Kenya;
- Provide specific advice and guidance to managers and employees on a variety of HR issues including employee relations issues;
- Design, develop and implement HR policies and procedures for national staff to ensure legal compliance and best practice within Somalia and Kenya;
- Assist international staff to understand and comply with international HR policies and procedures. Lead specific HR projects and initiatives in line with the country strategies;
- Ensure HR information systems, processes and filing procedures are established maintained and developed;
- Directly manage a small team of staff while advising on the human resource needs of all locations.
Recruitment and Selection
- To co-ordinate and support all aspects of the recruitment and selection process of national staff.
- Specific responsibilities include job description development, recruitment planning, advertising and short-listing, selection interviews and tests, job offers, salary calculations and issuing contracts.
- To keep updated with relevant new recruitment sources and propose improvements to processes and selection tools to ensure that the recruitment process meets current and future programme needs.
- To work closely with the Country Management Team, HR colleagues in the programme and Head Office to ensure a coordinated approach to recruitment planning & activity, assessing staffing requirements, ensuring effective forward planning and awareness of available staff resources to fill vacancies, and reviewing the most appropriate and cost effective way to recruit to posts .
- To coach and train all staff involved in recruitment on best practice and equal opportunities.
- Together with the Country Director, to provide advice on the management of all staff ensuring a clear understanding and implementation of Merlin Policies, Procedures and the Employment Laws of the country.
- Regularly update the Country Management Team on Human Resource statutory requirements, including tax laws and ensure that Merlin’s status in country fulfils these requirements.
- Liaise with external parties (i.e. specialist advisors, other NGOs) on compliance issues related to Merlin’s operations in country (including work permits).
- Line manage the Human Resource and administration team; ensure that line managers are clear about their responsibilities in ensuring that Merlin’s Code of Conduct is adhered to by staff, and support the implementation of appropriate action by line managers in the event of non-compliance.
- Ensure that line managers conduct performance appraisals and set objectives regularly and on time and that exit interviews take place for all staff.
- Manage the HR Department budget and ensure expenditures are within budget and in compliance with established financial standards.
- Develop and monitor Human Resources strategies into country projects and Merlin’s overall mission and operational strategy.
- Establish and maintain robust and effective Human Resource management and administrative systems.
- Develop and manage the communication, implementation, monitoring and review of all Human Resource policies and procedures for national staff, ensuring they consider local cultural norms, and gender issues, and that all relevant documentation is translated into appropriate languages.
- Ensure understanding of and compliance with international HR policies and procedures by all international staff.
- Provide advice and guidance to line managers within the country programme on all aspects of employment and staff related issues.
- Conduct regular field trips to project offices to monitor and review Human Resource and administrative procedures and assist project staff, where appropriate.
- Advise and coach staff at all levels on issues related to performance management, legal compliance, disciplinary procedure, grievance procedure with the goal of building knowledge and capacity among staff to improve employee relations and enhance job performance and productivity.
- Manage national staff welfare policies including health insurance, group life insurance, personal and accident cover ensuring that they are appropriate and cost effective.
- Develop a programme-wide Learning and Development policy, in collaboration with the Country Management Team and the Learning and Development team in Head Office.
- Identify the learning and development needs of programme staff and, where appropriate, provide tailored training and support within programme budget constraints.
- Work with line managers to develop and deliver an annual Learning and Development Plan based on identified learning needs, with support and advice where necessary from the Learning and Development Team in Head Office.
- Liaise with Learning and Development in Head Office to update line managers with information and advise on staff development.
- Evaluate and assess the impact of learning initiatives and activities.
- In coordination with the Country Director, lead on specific HR projects, e.g. salary reviews ensuring that these are fair, reasonable and competitive, policy and procedures reviews, staff surveys and training & development needs analysis.
- Attend and participate in relevant inter-agency coordination meetings.
- Ensure implementation and ongoing management and regular monitoring of tracking systems for timesheets, annual leave and R&R entitlements, return flights, travel permits and work authorizations for all international staff.
- Monitor the maintenance of monthly leave schedules, ensuring appropriate levels of cover at all times through effective annual leave planning and allocation.
- Ensure accurate maintenance of timesheets for all sites.
- Develop, implement, and maintain an effective HR database and reporting system.
- Oversee the maintenance of an effective HR filing system, with proper files maintained for each staff member, both manually and electronically.
- Manage the preparation of the staff payroll and the timely disbursement of salaries or other employee benefits.
- Maintain the monthly expatriate movement schedule as well as the expatriate and staff salary coding schedules for onward transmission to Head Office.
- Ensure the smooth and timely dissemination of information and advice on queries related to human resource and administration (internally and externally).
- Degree or higher qualifications in Human Resources Management or equivalent by experience
- Strong knowledge and understanding of international HR practices and issues
- Strong experience of working for an International Non Governmental Organisation (INGO) in the capacity of Human Resource Manager
- Experience of providing an HR service to a multi-site operation
- Strong experience of providing a broad range of high quality HR policy advice (including disciplinary and grievance) to managers and staff
- Strong experience of managing and undertaking a high quality recruitment process
- Strong communication skills, with excellent written and spoken English
- Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office
- Experience of establishing strong working relationships with colleagues from different functions and cultures
- Experience of a flexible approach to managing and prioritising a high workload and multiple tasks in a fast paced environment with tight deadlines
- Experience of proactively identifying and addressing issues
- An understanding of and commitment to Merlin’s mission and values
- Experience with Somalia
- Swahili fluency
- Experience of having worked in insecure environments
- Experience of staff management
- Knowledge of health sector Human Resource management issues
- Experience of designing and delivering training
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.