Job Ref.: BMES-292840
Position Reports to: Managing Partner
Position May Accept work from: Other Staff on shared responsibilities.
Position Supervises: May be responsible for assigning, directing, and reviewing the work of other support personnel.
- All company staff
- Court Registries
- Government Offices
- External Advocates
- External Court Clerks
- Commencement of Action
- Participate in initial client interview.
- Conduct fact investigation and analysis.
- Conduct background investigation of parties and witnesses.
- Interview witnesses, including obtaining affidavits or written statements.
- Obtain photographs, documents, and physical evidence from third parties.
- Analyze documentary evidence, including preparation of chronologies.
- Draft complaint and necessary motions (Plaintiff)
- Draft Defence and necessary motions (defendant)
- Communicate and monitor throughout case the client’s adherence to litigation requirements.
- Participate in formulation of discovery plan.
- Draft discovery requests such as requests for production, interrogatories, requests for copies, and requests for admissions.
- Prepare motions, such as to compel discovery or for sanctions.
- Conduct legal research relating to pleading and motion preparation
- Prepare witness files (documents, summaries, questions).
- Prepare client for giving his/her deposition.
- Attend deposition and take notes on testimony.
- Prepare digests of depositions.
- Assist in editing video depositions.
- Organize and analyze documents.
- Analyze billing records and prepare damage analysis.
- Screen responsive and privileged documents.
- Control numbering and history of documents produced and received.
- Review and summarize records and transcripts.
- Locate and make recommendations on expert witnesses. Provide documents for expert’s review.
- Draft demand letters (on behalf of plaintiff).
- Draft status letters to client, analyzing merits of case.
- Conduct Pretrial Preparation and prepare PreTrial documents.
- Organize and prepare exhibits.
- Draft witness outlines and questions.
- Coordinate scheduling of witnesses.
- Assist in preparation of witnesses.
- Take notes –Handle exhibits –Coordinate witness arrival at trial –Manage deposition transcripts for use at trial Post-Trial and Appellate Work.
- Summarize trial testimony.
- Draft bill of costs.
- Draft notice of appeal.
- Obtain and prepare Record of Appeal.
- Attend and conduct hearings.
- Prepare pleadings and motions for execution and attachment.
- Draft settlement agreements.
- Draft withdrawals.
- Draft motions and stipulations for dismissal.
- Conduct legal research.
- Draft correspondence to client, witnesses, experts, and others.
- Prepare summaries of concerning cases.
- Draft legal opinions and maintain legal opinions database.
- Serves as backup for other positions in the department.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned.
- Exceptional Client focus.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Demonstrated initiative and the ability to work effectively within resource and time constraints.
- Leadership and people management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Knowledge of court and administrative hearing rules and procedures.
- Knowledge of legal document filing procedures in the relevant registries.
- Strong Research Skills:-Legal research methods using Westlaw and LexisNexis; principles of Internet research.
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to apply and follow complex instructions and/or guidelines as appropriate in the performance of support activities.
- Ability to maintain composure during stressful situations occurring as a result of workloads and/or deadlines.
- Minimum of Bachelor of Laws (Upper Second Class)
- Admission to the Roll of Advocates
- 5 years’ experience in drafting litigation and commercial legal documents in a busy law firm
Interested candidates who fully meet the above requirements should send their applications along with a detailed Curriculum Vitae indicating expected salary and their daytime contact, to email@example.com (Subject of the email should be the title of the POSITION APPLIED FOR & THE JOB REF)
If you are not interested in this opportunity today, please refer any friend or colleague you know that might suit the required profile.
Applications NOT MEETING minimum requirements will not be considered.
Note: We do not charge any fees for receiving and reviewing applications or for interviews