UN World Food Programme – Somalia
Vacancy Announcement No. 018/2016
Position No. 16-0021797
Post Title: National Programme Policy Officer
Contract type: Fixed Term
Post Grade: NOA
Duty Station: Mogadishu
Duration: 1 year (Initial)
Date of issue: 27th July 2016
Closing Date: 9th August 2016
Organizational Background: The World Food Programme Somalia activities include food assistance for relief, emergency school feeding, humanitarian air and logistics services, food coordination and emergency rehabilitation projects.
This position is open to qualified Somali candidates only.
Female candidates in particular, are encouraged to apply.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Policy Officer and overall supervision of the Head of Mogadishu Office, the incumbent will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Contribute towards the development of a limited number of projects, plans and processes, ensuring alignment with wider programme policies;
- Provide project management support to specific and defined programmes and projects of small to moderate size that are relatively straight forward in nature, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider programmes;
- Follow data gathering and monitoring systems ensuring that rigorous quality standards are maintained;
- Research and analyse policy and operational issues to support senior colleagues in the development of policies, programmes and activities;
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects;
- Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships to collaborative working leading to improved food assistance packages;
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, partners and national government to prepare for and respond to food assistance needs;
- Provide guidance to support staff , acting as a point of referral and assisting them with analysis and queries;
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Education: Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Nutrition/Health, Agriculture, Environmental Science, Social Sciences or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of related work experience and/or trainings/courses.
- Experience: At least one year of postgraduate professional experience in commerce, business administration, development or food assistance, programme management with national and international NGOs.
- Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English and Somali is a requirement.
- Knowledge: Experience utilizing computers, including word processing, spreadsheet or other WFP software packages. General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures governing administration.
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit online applications only according to the following procedures:
- Go to: http://i-recruitment.wfp.org/vacancies/16-0021797
- Step 1: Create your online CV.
- Step 2: Click on “Description” to read the position requirements and “Apply” to submit your application.
- NOTE: You must complete Step 2 in order for your application to be considered for this vacancy.
Applications that do not meet the above requirements will be disregarded.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.