Job Purpose: The Country Director is a key leadership position responsible for the overall strategy, management (programmatic, financial and administrative) in Build Africa’s Kenya programme.
The Country Director is Build Africa’s senior representative in Kenya, working closely with government, donors and other key stakeholders to improve education outcomes.
Strategy and Implementation
- Play a key role in the International Leadership Team to devise, execute and monitor the organisational strategy.
- Lead the country programme strategic and annual business planning.
- Lead the SMT in developing and delivering a robust business model ensuring growth of diversified income streams, including innovative financing and more traditional grant resources.
- Lead Build Africa’s vision in Kenya and manage the short, medium and long term plans.
- Develop the organisation by strengthening capacity, building high performance teams, identifying and promoting talent and managing performance.
- Foster a positive Build Africa management culture approach across the team, constantly seeking feedback and continual improvement.
- Ensure human resource policy and processes and procedures are in place and in line with best practice and Kenyan legislation.
- Encourage a team culture of learning, creativity and innovation.
- Keep abreast of current issues within the sector and key innovations in Education.
- To lead on the development and design of proposals and budgets, ensuring they are responsive, competitive and meet Build Africa standards for best practice and quality.
- To lead on the development of new business models (PPPs, social enterprises, etc.).
- To ensure quality throughout design of projects considering external and internal evidence and ensure incorporation of learnings, with design driven by the needs of beneficiaries.
- To ensure that BAK is exploring and designing pilots that incorporate new models and innovations (e.g. applying technology, creative solutions) as appropriate to the organisation’s (BA) long term strategic requirements.
- To provide high level relationship management with stakeholder and donors.
- Promote evidence-based decision making and support/initiate operational research to better understand the needs of beneficiaries.
- Guide the implementation and continual refinement of the M&E framework, tools, and methods, employing a collaborative approach to ensure that these address programme needs, strengths and constraints; and guide the work of M&E specialists and focal points in collaboration with colleagues in the UK.
- Responsible for ensuring grant compliance for all projects in Kenya in line with donor requirements, ensuring timely submission of reporting to key institutional and foundation donors.
- To lead on ensuring that Build Africa Kenya is implementing best practice within Child Safeguarding throughout the programmes, prioritising the needs of children and ensuring child safeguarding issues are addressed.
- Ensure the programme fully meets duty of care requirements and operates within Build Africa’s Security Framework.
- Educated to MA degree level or BA and at least eight years of relevant experience
- Be an experienced international development professional with a passion for education
- Proven experience to effectively communicate ideas, proposals, issues and implications at a senior level
- Ability to coach and lead by example
- Experience of leading a multi-disciplinary team
- Experience of income generation through donor funding and/or commercial activities and in delivering proven results by making informed decisions
- Understanding of major policies/issues of large bilateral/multilateral donors and strong knowledge of donor related business practices
- Passionate about using new technologies/innovations to drive impact, and have an up to date understanding of what is possible
- Experience of working with USAID, DFID, EU and UN funds highly desirable
- Ideally experience of working with social enterprise and exposure to Public Private Partnership models
- Strong understanding of monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning
- Worked for an international NGO, ideally at SMT with budget and line management responsibility
- An understanding of the Education Sector in Kenya and Africa more broadly
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal, blended with a confident and personable manner
- Demonstrate ability to work as a key player with both the BAK Board and SMT
- Ability to influence key stakeholders at all levels both internally and externally
- Results focussed, ensuring long term sustainability and increased impact
- Aware of emerging developments within the sector, with the ability to focus and articulate a vision of the future which inspires and excites others, while understanding the detail and looking for the evidence
- An analytical ability to quickly understand new or evolving situations, and to develop strategies to deal with such situations / solutions focussed.
- Able to work flexibly, under pressure and to meet demanding deadlines, with the ability to prioritise and manage conflicting demands
- Takes responsibility for the decisions made and the behaviours demonstrated
- Builds and maintains effective long-term working relationships with all stakeholders, and is a true Build Africa ambassador
- Ability to think strategically yet still be prepared to be hands-on
- High energy levels, resilience and tenacity
- Fosters a culture of learning
Your application should include an up-to-date CV highlighting relevant skills and experience, names and contacts of three professional referees, daytime telephone contact and email address by close of business Friday 26th August 2016.
Build Africa is equal opportunities employer;
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.