Country Engagement Developer, Open Contracting
About Hivos: Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues.
Hivos is an important actor within the emerging Transparency & Accountability field.
The momentum for more transparency around public contracts has been growing rapidly.
Hivos and Article 19 have launched an international programme titled “Open Contracting Data Programme”.
Job Context: Hivos is seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Country Engagement Developer (CED) for our Open Contracting Data programme.
In this position, the CED will work as a member of the East Africa Regional Team and liaise closely with the international teams working in the Netherlands, Southeast Asia and Latin America.
The CED should have a strong track record of building effective relationships with a variety of actors in relevant institutions (state, private sector, civil society, tech, academia & media) and an active network of relevant contacts in the Kenya & Tanzania that can supplement the programme’s lobbying and advocacy activities.
The CED will report to the Regional Project Manager, Open Contracting.
- Responsible for the delivery of a coherent programme of activities in Kenya and Tanzania, in line with the specific country plans and overall objectives.
- Establish a strong portfolio of partners nationally, identifying champions, change agents in government and strong partners to act as infomediaries to help translate public contracting data and document into actionable information
- Coordinate and, where possible, conduct, capacity development activities, advocacy, big data analysis and visualization and data journalism.
- Coordinate and participate in national advocacy & brokering relationships
- Coordinate with national civil society coalitions within the Open Government Partnership (OGP) and other relevant initiatives such the Extractive Sector Transparency Initiative (EITI), Freedom of Information Network and Construction Sector Transparency (CoST) among others.
- Encourage learning, sharing new ideas and the scaling-up of successful initiatives
- Organize the participatory elaboration of joint strategic plans for each country & for relevant sectors, which will also feed into a broader regional agenda
- Elaborate risk analysis together with our partners to ensure that both they and the consortium understand the personal safety and risks of engaging in specific advocacy activities and elaborate mitigation strategies
- Contribute to programme monitoring & evaluation using the outcome harvesting
- A Masters Degree or equivalent in Social Sciences
- At least five (5) years experience delivering advocacy programmes in Tanzania and Kenya
- Strong communication, networking and facilitation skills
- Experienced in establishing and managing multi-stakeholder initiatives
- A firm grasp and knowledge of the current context, transparency & accountability trends and open government issues in East Africa.
- Extensive contacts in governance institutions and knowledge of governance issues in Tanzania is highly desired
- Affinity with and experience with civic technology and media
- Excellent in written and oral English and Swahili languages
- Experience in monitoring and evaluation of projects focusing in outcomes as well as donor reporting
- Flexibility, and the ability to work under pressure, prioritize and deliver in time
Like to apply?
To apply, kindly send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the suitable candidate for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org.