He/she will head the Hagadera Safety & Security Department and supervise all staff within the department.
- To design security training materials/packages with assistance from SSM to set standards, around a ‘learning outcomes’ principle, ensuring that key security messages are conveyed to IRC staff and visitors in accordance with the Preparedness, Prevention, Response and Recovery Plan (PPRR).
- To deliver these standardized training courses and security briefing sessions to all Hagadera field based staff as well as IRC visitors where relevant.
- To develop and carry out a regular schedule of refresher trainings for key staff involved in security and communications (i.e. radio operators, guards, drivers and other operations staff).
- To conduct frequent field visits and deliver high quality training to IRC field offices in Hagadera and Kambioos camps, supporting field based staff in gaining greater awareness and being better prepared in dealing with prevailing security risks, threats and incidents.
- To ensure that accurate, up-to-date security/communications information is available in appropriate local language(s) to staff in all office locations.
- To manage all aspect of Hagadera field safety and security taking the lead as the security focal person in all matters related directly or indirectly to IRC staff and assets.
- to manage the field safety and security department through leadership and supervision of personnel and to develop and deliverstandard refresher training to keysecurity staff involve in radio communication in Hagadera.
- Provide general support and back-up to the SSM, taking on the Acting Security Manager role in the absence of the SSM.
- to ensure that accurate updated, neutral security information and communication is shared to all staff in Hagadera
- to monitor and track staff and vehicle movement in the field and ensure that all IRC vehicles, premises and equipment are compliant with the basic security standards.
- to assist in conducting and maintaining accurate security risk assessment of IRC Hagadera/Kambioos offices and staff residence and reporting any matters of concern to the SSM/FC and implementing appropriate mitigation measures.
- to participate as requested by the FC/SSM in all security related meetings in Dadaab
- Assist in incident reporting ,management and investigation involving IRC staffs or assets
- To ensure implementation and enforcement of safety and security policies and SOPs as outlined in the Hagadera Mini – SMP.
- To liaison, develop and maintain close working relation with other security agencies including the UNHCR, UNDSS, INSO, Contracted Security Company and the government security forces.
- Supervise contracted security company deployed to IRC facilities.
- Assist the SSM and Field Operations Managers in ensuring that all IRC vehicles, premises and equipment are compliant with basic security standards.
- Assist the SSM and Field Operations Managers in conducting and maintaining accurate risk assessments of IRC offices and residences, reporting any matters of concern to the SSM/ Deputy Director, Operations.
- Assist the SSM and Field Operations Managers in managing the activities and performance of guards and communications staff to ensure that all duties are carried out effectively and in a professional manner.
- Actively contribute to information exchange both internally and externally and share with the SSM/ Deputy Director Operations in timely manner.
- To assist, as required, with the development and implementation of security-related workplans including contingency plans
- Ensure that installed security equipment/apparatus are appropriately deployed and maintained. This include CCTV, Detectors, emergency alarms
- To assist, as required, with incident management and incident reporting
- In liaison with the SSM and field-based security and operations staff, provide comprehensive, neutral, and non-partisan information on security risks, threats and incidents.
- Uphold the mission, values, and spirit of IRC.
- Follow and enforce all IRC codes of conduct and policies (worldwide and in-country).
- Report any violations to appropriate IRC authority, and participate in preventative initiatives.
- Actively seek opportunities that will complement ability to fulfill position’s responsibilities as well as further professional development, such as taking part in internal and external trainings.
- Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
- Bachelors degree from recognized institutions in Criminology, security management, law enforcement, or public administration.
- 3-5 years’ security-related work experience preferably from the police, military and INGOs.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in security/safety-related subjects, threat/risk assessment, security management, and personal and organizational security awareness
- Prior experience in the development and delivery of standardized training packages to both national and international staff.
- Strong experience and skills in disaster management
- Technical competency and training experience in field-based communications systems (such as HF Codan, Motorola VHF/Thuraya)
- Proven experience of working effectively in complex security environments
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili (written, spoken, comprehension). Knowledge of Somali language will be an added advantage.
- Computer skills (including MS Word, Excel, Access, and internet) an advantage
- Ability to work closely, professionally and constructively with all others regardless of nationality, ethnicity, gender, religion, race, tribe, or cultural background.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
If you need assistance in the application or hiring process to accommodate a disability, you may request an accommodation at any time.
(IRC) does not ask for any fees in connection with its recruitment
processes. In the event that you receive any request for payment of any
sort, please get in touch with us on Tel: +(254-020) 2727730, Email:
IRCKenya@rescue.org or report to the nearest police.