The Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops – General Secretariat
Introduction: The KCCB- General Secretariat is the National Administrative, facilitative and Coordinative arm through which the Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops implements and co-ordinates various Pastoral programs at the National level and undertakes all those responsibilities which express the mission of the Catholic Church in Kenya.
It is seeking an outstanding, dynamic and results oriented individual to fill the following key position.
Programme Officer – Justice and Peace Commission
Purpose of the Post: The position will support in the area of Peace and Conflict Transformation Programme
- Research issues of interest to governance, peace, security and Conflict management;
- Draft correspondence to external organizations including faith based institutions and contacts
- Provide the commission with regular analysis of and advice on the security situation on the ground, including reports and updates on conflict dynamics and peacebuilding opportunities,
- Provide written reports on the situation and possible measures to be taken
- Provide advice to the commission in identifying relevant risks and opportunities for peacebuilding and conflict management;
- Maintain close contact and regular communication with relevant commission staff
- Engage national and international partners in order to build entry-points and partnerships for conflict prevention and peacebuilding initiatives;
- Organize, facilitate and conduct strategic dialogue activities with stakeholders;
- Assist relevant stakeholders, as appropriate, to identify risk/opportunities for peace, dialogue, conflict prevention and reconciliation, including the drafting of “issues papers” that could serve as the basis for further dialogue with regard to root causes of the current tensions and strategies for addressing them;
- Ensure gender mainstreaming in the above activities and that priority is given to the promotion of the participation of women, youth and traditionally underrepresented groups.
- Provide advice on the integration of peacebuilding and conflict prevention elements within the Commission strategies and other planning processes;
- Support the building of strategic alliances and partnerships for conflict prevention and peacebuilding-related strategies and initiatives;
- Update database of experts and trainers;
- Develop activity reports while accompanying experts/consultants/trainers to the field or internal meetings;
- Conduct special projects as need arises.
- The applicant must have a first degree in Peace and Conflict Management, development studies, public policy, international affairs, political science, social sciences or a related field;
- Research experience preferred.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to communicate and interact at all levels of the organization.
- Proven problem solver with the ability to work in a diverse team environment.
- Flexible, professional with the ability to manage multiple responsibilities with changing priorities.
- A good knowledge of social teachings of the Church, and Ethical values
- Must have worked for a period of not less than 3 years in similar position
- Self-motivated staff, able to work under pressure and with less supervision
- Extent of carrying out duties and responsibility in #3 above.
- Must have a very clear idea of the Catholic Social Teachings.
Applications should be addressed to:-
Kenya Conference of Catholic Bishops -Catholic Secretariat
P.O Box 13475-00800
Applications must reach us on or before 4th September 2016