Marie Stopes Kenya (MSK) provides comprehensive SRH services through its branch network of 23 clinical facilities, called Centers of Excellence.
These facilities provide a wide range of services including: medical consultation, specialist gynaecological consultations; comprehensive FP services including LAPM; pre- and post-natal care; child welfare services; comprehensive laboratory services; 24 hour maternity services; free condom distribution; school health education; voluntary medical male circumcision; PMTCT and VCT services; STI diagnosis and treatment; post abortion care and safe delivery and associated services.
The holder of this position reports to the Senior Coordinator MSK Centers, but also engages other department’s heads as and when need arise.
He/she will also provide professional services – if his/her profile is clinical – that complement the Service provider’s role of delivering primary health care services at the allocated center or any other center as the need arises.
Job Title: Centre Manager
The post holder commits to and is held accountable to Marie Stopes International global core values: mission driven, customer focused, results orientated, pioneering, sustainable and people centered
1. Technical and clinical service provision
- To provide all of the following clinical services to a consistently high standard and in accordance with clinical guidelines and protocols:
- All methods of short and long-term contraceptive methods, including injections, implants and IUDs.
- Cervical screening, STI screening and treatment and VCT.
- Removal of implants and IUDs where required.
- Assistance with tubal ligation and vasectomy procedures.
- To conduct weekly checking of essential equipment, promptly inform the Team Leader of their current status, and following up repairs or maintenance as required.
- To carry out all nursing procedures (as laid down in the procedure manual).
- To maintain high standards of cleanliness and infection control measures.
- To ensure instruments are appropriately sterilised and stored in compliance with infection control protocols.
- To order medical supplies and consumables in good time to avoid shortage.
- To ensure proper storage of medical supplies.
- To support clients through the provision of vocal local techniques during procedures.
- To attend clinical training and supervision as required.
- To promote and ensure proper use of the Client Information Centre (CLIC)
- To support new team members in their induction & orientation and assist with training as required.
- Improved quality of clinical care as reflected by regular QTA scores
- Continuous CMEs conducted.
- Reduced cases of complications.
- Proper documentation of all minor and major complications.
- CYPs acquired.
- Proper generation and use of CLIC reports, with demonstrable outputs from the reports
- Business planning and development: Prepare annual business plans with SMART objectives and strategic plans of how to achieve them. Continually assess all areas of the service provided to clients to ensure continued financial viability and take tough decisions where services are deemed non-viable.
- Increasing productivity and product margin: Continually review the efficiency of the centre, especially with regards to the core services in MSK
- Financial Management: Monitor income and expenditure, seeking support from Finance as required, and take appropriate action to ensure financial KPIs are met.
- Marketing: Instill a marketing culture with teams so that everyone is aware of their individual responsibility for the success of their centre. Agree marketing activities with the centre marketing champion and the MSK Marketing team. Strengthening appropriate referrals with other RHN providers, CHWs and pharmacies within the region.
- Business plan completed on time with follow-through action plans
- Continuous review of the Professional Development Plans
- Weekly CBR sessions
- CYPs delivered
- # Cryotherapy services
- Financial KPIs
- CCSPT/FP campaigns and attendant KPIs
- Referral vouchers
- Optimise client numbers: Optimise capacity within the centre by efficiently managing human resources; continually reviewing the effectiveness of systems and working practices; and maintaining an effective client flow to minimise client wait times.
- Compliance to the national healthcare guidelines and MSI protocols: Ensure compliance with national minimum healthcare standards taking immediate action where appropriate on any areas identified for improvements as a result of internal or external audits or inspections.
- Contingency planning: Ensure there is an appropriate plan in place which anticipates any risks to your centre and MSK and outlines appropriate action to be taken to minimise impact.
- Stock management: Ensure no over/under- stocking and also that stock is well handled
- Health and Safety: Take overall responsibility for team, client and general safety in the Centre and as a consequence of its activities.
- IT management: Utilisation and close supervision of the Client Information Center software (CLIC)
- Client exit interviews and follow-up action plans
- Self-assessment reports
- Proper referral mechanisms
- Standard operating Procedures
- Monthly stock report timeliness and accuracy
- Incident reporting
- End of shift reconciliation reports
- Operational Efficiency weekly meetings
- Reconciled banked and actual incomes
- Quality management: Promote and maintain the quality management systems as laid out by MSK and MSI.
- Client feedback : Ensure client feedback and prompt conclusion to potential clients complaints
- Quarterly QTA scores of 92% and above
- 75% clients fill Exit questionnaires
- Motivation of team: Engage and motivate all team members within the centre so that they understand and work to achieve centre objectives and KPIs and so that their role has a positive impact on the centre’s success.
- Performance management: Take an active approach to managing the performance of all team members by providing honest feedback on performance; providing formal reviews at least annually; setting appropriate objectives; ensuring appropriate behaviours are discussed and appropriate training plans are put in place.
- Induction: Clearly define structured local induction plans to ensure new team members understand the requirements of their role and have appropriate training to do the job. Ensure that all new team members attend corporate induction within the first 3 months of starting.
- Discipline of team: Take immediate and appropriate action in the event of misconduct or serious underperformance of team members, seeking support from People & Development Department as required and ensuring action is in line with MSK’s HR policies.
- Communication: Put in place mechanisms for effectively communicating with team members ensuring that the approaches used provide opportunities for two-way discussion. Promote a feedback culture within the team.
- Learning and development: Create a learning environment to ensure your team members have the appropriate skills to deliver service excellence; assess and forward plan for training needs, getting appropriate support from the MSK Learning & Development function and ensure attendance on mandatory/planned courses.
- Personal development: Actively take responsibility for own development including ownership of own training and keeping skills and knowledge up to date, seeking support as required.
- Team member survey
- Performance-based Incentives to team members
- Complete and regular Performance plus
- Updated training register
- Induction plans
- Adhere to policies and procedures.
- Proper disciplinary procedures
- Team member survey.
- Adhere to policies and procedures
- Attendance at training
- Continuous Medical Education (CMEs)
- Personal development plan.
- Bachelor Degree in Health or Business Administration (combination of related education and operational experience in a health care organization may be substituted for Bachelor Degree in Health or Business Administration
- (5) years’ experience in healthcare field
- Significant operational, hands on management including team management gained within a customer focused service industry
- Healthcare management experience
- Have held, worked to and/or monitored a budget or business plan
- IT literacy: confident using MS Office
- MS Word for reports
- MS Excel
- team leadership skills: effective delegation, supervision, coaching and motivation
- communication skills: to convey message clearly and concisely, in a manner appropriate to the target audience both in writing and verbally
- financial skills: understand and use financial information such as balance sheets and profit and loss accounts to inform business decision making
Applications quoting the position title with detailed CV, with contact details of 3 referees including their email addresses (1 of which should be your immediate supervisor, 1 former supervisor and 1 any other not relatives) should be submitted to: email@example.com on or before 7th September 2016.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NB: Please clearly indicate in the subject line as “Centre Manager”