Job Title: Head Cook
Background: The Nairobi Waldorf School – www.nairobiwaldorfschool.ac.ke – was founded in 1992.
Job Summary: A Head Cook provides support to the food service activities at the school with specific responsibilities for preparing and serving food items to students and/or school personnel; verifying quality of food and supplies; maintaining facilities in a safe and sanitary condition and guiding assigned personnel in the performance of their job functions.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Ensure high hygiene standard at all times
- Overall responsible for strict hygiene rules across the kitchen and cleaning staff
- Organic and healthy cooking including vegetarian option as per Waldorf principles.
- Food supply procurement and healthy cooking
- Cleans utensils, equipment, and the storage, food preparation, serving areas and cafeteria for the purpose of maintaining sanitary conditions.
- Implements menu plans for the purpose of meeting students’ mandated daily nutritional requirements.
- Inspects food items and/or supplies for the purpose of verifying quantity, quality and specifications of orders and/or complying with mandated health standards.
- Inventories food and supplies for the purpose of ensuring availability of items required for meeting projected menu requirements.
- Maintains equipment, storage, food preparation and serving areas in a sanitary condition for the purpose of complying with current health standards.
- Manages assigned site operations (e.g. supervises personnel, delegates, create menus, monitors meal expenditures, evaluates new products and/or menus, record keeping, budgeting, ordering, arranging for substitutes, complying with guidelines and regulations, etc.) for the purpose of providing efficient food services in compliance with established nutritional and health requirements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Skills: Adhering to safety practices; planning and managing projects; preparing and maintaining accurate records; operating standard office equipment and equipment in a commercial kitchen; and using pertinent software applications.
Knowledge: Safety practices and procedures; quantify food preparation and handling; and sanitation practices.
Ability: Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; setting priorities; working as part of a team; working with interruptions; and working with detailed information/data.
- Working under direct supervision using standardized procedures; leading, guiding, and/or coordinating others; and operating within a defined budget.
- Utilization of some resources from other work units may be required to perform the job’s functions.
- There is a continual opportunity to impact the school’s services.
Submitting your application