Location: Isibania, Kenya
About the Organization: Nuru Kenya is a non-governmental organization currently working in Migori County, Kenya. Nuru Kenya’s mission is to end extreme poverty in remote, rural areas of Kenya.
Overview of the Job: Reporting directly to the Market Linkages & Cooperatives Manager, the Co-operative accountant will help establish and oversee all cooperative accounting systems.
- Install and commission an adequate and effective accounting system within the Co-operatives;
- Render reports on the financial condition and operations of the Co-operative monthly, annually or as may be required by Management Committee and/ or General Assembly or Nuru Kenya;
- Provide assistance to Management Committee in the preparation of annual budget;
- Keep, maintain and preserve all books of accounts, documents, vouchers, contracts and other records concerning the business of the Co-operative and make them available for auditing purposes;
- Develop systems so cooperatives are able to track and report loan collection/ repayment using appropriate instruments;
- Review accounting transactions for completeness, internal accuracy, and conformity with established accounting classifications;
- Communicate with regulatory and industry agencies on system reporting requirements such as KRA;
- Build accounting related proficiency and capacity of Cooperative Managers and Management Committees
- Perform such other duties as the immediate supervisor may require.
- Be a holder of Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a Business related course and with at least CPA VI
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working as an Accountant, 1 of which must be in a Co-operative setting or a similar institution
- Those with CPA Section 6 and a Minimum of five (5) years working Experience in the same position will be considered
- Must have good analytical and communication skills
- Must have knowledge of at-least one Accounting Software relevant to Co-operative business accounting
- Excellent analytical skills and the ability to work independently
- Desire to work with rural farmers in field conditions; experience in this setting preferred
- Previous experience working in a cereal marketing co-operative society is an advantage
- Be a Kenyan citizen
- Fluent in English and Swahili
Remuneration: Commensurate with demonstrated skills and experience.
Nuru Kenya is an Equal Opportunity Employer, we give equal opportunity to all qualified candidates.
Note: Incomplete applications will not be considered
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification
We do not charge or accept money as a fee at any stage in our hiring process.