Since establishment, the Centre has been instrumental in capacity building in resource surveys, mapping, remote sensing, GIS and natural resources assessment and management, disaster risk reduction in Africa.
RCMRD wishes to fill the following position:
Director General (D1)
Duties and responsibilities:
The Director General shall be the Chief Executive and the accounting officer of the Centre. He/she shall, in accordance with the policies, decisions and directives of the Governing Council (GC), have the overall responsibility for the organization and ensure efficient administration of the Centre.
The duties and responsibilities for the position will include:
- Providing the chief administrative and accounting role to the Centre;
- Directing and coordinating the implementation of the Centre’s Strategic Plan;
- Initiating the formulation and review of the Centre’s policies;
- Initiating and coordinating all plans and projects implemented by the Centre;
- Guiding the institutional building activities of the Centre;
- Interpreting the policies as set out by the GC for implementation;
- Acting as contact person with Member States, development partners, other regional institutions and the host government on behalf of the Centre;
- Coordinating the Centre’s programmes with those of other international organizations;
- Overseeing the implementation of the Centre’s budget for the successful implementation of the Centre’s programmes;
- Mobilizing financial resources for the Centre through contracting Member States, development partners and consultancy services;
- Marketing the Centre’s image and activities at corporate, national, regional and international levels;
- Acting as the Secretary to the Governing Council; and
- Chairing the Centre’s management committee.
The ideal candidate for the post must:
- Be in possession of a PhD degree in Geomatics, Earth Science, Geography, Space Science, Computer Science, Engineering or Business Management, with at least 14 years of experience, 10 years of which should be in senior managerial positions.
- Be in possession of a Master’s degree in either Geomatics, Earth Science, Geography, Space Science, Computer Science, Engineering or Business Management, with at least 18 years of experience, 10 years of which should be in senior managerial positions.
- Have basic training and experience in Geomatics, Geography or Earth Sciences.
- Have extensive experience and skills in senior management, leadership and strategic roles.
- Have practical experience in managing similar organizations in the private, public or civil society sectors.
- Have entrepreneurial and innovative pre-disposition, with proven track record appropriate to the vision and mission of the Centre.
- Be capable of inspiring the advancement of Geo-information capacity development in Africa.
- Be able to initiate and sustain partnership with national and international organizations.
- Have financial and human resource management skills.
- Have good communication and interpersonal skills.
Salary Scale: The salaries for the above position are consolidated and are in the range of: D1: USD70, 654.68 p.a. (Fixed)
Benefits: These include housing allowance, provision of transport, contributory provident fund with both parties contributing 7% of monthly basic salary towards the fund, 10% gratuity of annual basic salary based on successful completion of the contract and a staff contributory group medical scheme to a maximum of five (5) family members.
Applicants for the position must be nationals of the RCMRD’s member States only.
Applications should be addressed to:
P.O Box 632, 00618,
Tel: +254 20 2680722/2680748
Cell: +254 723 786161/735 981098
Fax: +254 20 2680747
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org to reach him not later than 9th September, 2016.