Vacancy: Field Coordinator – In-Home Toilet Sales and Operations
Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Our systems-based approach to solving the sanitation crisis involves five key steps: we build a dense network of franchised micro-entrepreneurs, who operate low-cost, high-quality waterless sanitation facilities – called Fresh Life – as small businesses.
We provide critical support services – such as access to finance, business analytics, training, and marketing. We collect the waste regularly and safely remove it from the community.
We convert the waste into valuable by-products, such as organic fertilizer and renewable energy. Finally, we sell the by-products to Kenyan farms under the brand name Farm Star.
Since November 2011, we have launched nearly 700 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of more than 300 Fresh Life Operators.
We have collected and converted over 7,000 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 200 people.
For our work, we have been recognized by Fast Company as one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World Doing Social Good and one of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in Africa.
Background of the Project: Since launching our first toilet, we have diversified our product and service offerings in order to reach an increasing proportion of the residents of the communities we serve.
Creation of our residential and school service delivery models has brought us closer to our goal of reaching everyone, forever. Still, we know there are people we don’t reach.
We continue to strive to reach all residents wherever they are, and whenever they need sanitation. To that end, we have been developing a product and service delivery model for an in-home toilet.
To truly test the size of the market for an in-home toilet, gathering information on customer desires, willingness to pay, and satisfaction with service delivery, we will commence a pilot in which in-home toilets are sold to households in Nairobi’s informal settlements.
Job Purpose Statement: Sanergy seeks a Field Coordinator to support the launch and ongoing implementation of our in-home toilet product and service offering.
This includes sales, operational support, data collection and data entry.
We are looking for a passionate, reliable and organized professional with a proven record of developing relationships with members of the community, gracefully navigating uncertainty, and ensuring timely completion of tasks.
Reports to: Manager, Future Initiatives
Role & Responsibilities
- Represent the company as the point of contact with potential and existing customers
- Provide vital local intelligence in terms of navigating the community both from a physical and social dynamics perspective
- Implement marketing and sales strategy to meet targets, goals and quotas
- Train customers on use, maintenance and emptying of toilet
- Coordinate customer payment, regular waste collection, satisfaction monitoring and data collection
- Ensure customer satisfaction by identifying and quickly resolving operational issues; liaise with internal Sanergy/Fresh Life teams to ensure issues are adequately addressed and that changes are made to prevent recurrence
- Conduct regular household visits for support and supervision
- Conduct surveys, interviews and observations
- Complete data entry and documentation tasks quickly and with an extremely high level of accuracy to ensure timely processing
- Degree or Diploma in a Business related field or Community Development
- 2-3 years’ work experience, preferably in the informal settlement
- Deep understanding of the needs, desires and demands of consumers in Nairobi’s informal settlements, preferably with experience selling products or services in this context
- Experience working directly with community members in Nairobi’s informal settlements
- Track record of managing day-to-day implementation of field-based strategies
- Background in WASH or another area of innovation in global health/development
- Entrepreneurial spirit – ability to adapt quickly, tendency to view obstacles as opportunities to innovate
- Passion for finding new ways to make affordable sanitation accessible to residents of informal settlements
- Proven ability to work independently to move deliverables forward
- Experience in at least one of the following:
- Data collection
- Ongoing operational support
When applying, please use code “221” in the “job code” field.
Application Deadline: 19th August 2016