Job Title: Legal Officer
Reporting To: Chief Executive Officer
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparing and reviewing legal contracts, deeds, leases, and other legal papers of a routine nature;
- Managing contractual arrangements with suppliers and partners;
- Researching on relevant statutes, rulings and precedents to be used as a basis for answering requests for legal opinions;
- Handling all legal matters including litigations in liaison with external lawyers;
- Providing legal advice and ensure compliance with legal and statutory requirements;
- Maintaining a comprehensive database of all legal matters with up to date progress;
- Reviewing and formulating legal policies, procedures and regulations;
- Reviewing recent legislation, court cases, correspondence and publications pointing out matters of note or which necessitate management action;
- Liaising with other departments in managing legal matters;
- Assisting in the provision of company secretarial duties to the Board of Directors as and when the need arises;
- Filing of various documents/returns as required under the provisions of the Companies Law;
- Attending court and relevant registries as and when required to;
- Conducting legal awareness and education to company staff;
- Attending meetings within and outside the company premises on behalf of the company;
- Employing Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) procedures in resolving disputes affecting the company.
Education, Professional Qualifications and Work Experience
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from a recognized university;
- A registered member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing;
- 2-3 years post-admission experience in a busy legal department/environment.
- Required Skills and Competencies
- Strong management, negotiation and report writing skills;
- Computer literacy and familiarity with standard office computer applications;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
Qualified candidates should send their application to the email below by 15th Aug 2016.