UHAI EASHRI is an indigenous, activist led and managed fund supporting human rights and social justice activism around sexuality, health and human rights.
We support civil society organizing for sexual and gender minorities with flexible and accessible grants, capacity support, knowledge building and documentation as well as support the strength of our movements in pan-African and global spaces, including support for activist-determined convening.
UHAI EASHRI is looking for a dynamic, result-oriented individual to take up the position of Operations Officer.
The Operations Officer reports to the Deputy Executive Director.
The position will give leadership in the developing and implementing effective, efficient and cost effective systems and processes to support UHAI EASHRI’s Administrative, ICT and Human Resource Management processes.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Give direction in the creation and maintaining of an effective, efficient and cost efficient office environment and office services. This is through overseeing all aspects of office management as well as management of UHAI EASHRI’s property.
- Take lead in organising and coordinating all UHAI EASHRI convenings and conferences as well as any internal meetings and staff retreats.
- Manage all of UHAI EASHRI’s Information Technology (IT) services. This includes ensuring that our server and email services work well and that databases are managed and maintained.
- Ensure all UHAI EASHRI communication systems are always working. These include telephone, email services and website.
- Be in charge of Human Resource Management including leading in coordination of recruitment, performance management, leave management and UHAI EASHRI’s staff medical and well being.
- Support UHAI EASHRI’s hosted organisations in their administrative needs. This includes giving coaching and capacity support to their administrative team as well as assisting them in creating effective administrative systems.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in Business Administration, ICT, Management or any other related field is desirable.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills in English. Proficiency in Swahili and French will be an added advantage.
- At least three years’ demonstrable experience in managing administrative processes in a busy office and preferably in a regional NGO.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and commitment to human rights and social justice, particularly knowledge and experience of sexual and gender minorities rights.
- Experience in managing a team.
- Demonstrable analytic and strategic thinking skills.
- Strong organisational and management skills with attention to detail.
- Willingness and ability to travel within the East African region and internationally.
- Sensitivity, flexibility, and ability to listen and communicate clearly and effectively with people from diverse cultures and backgrounds.
- Discretion and ability to handle confidential issues.
- Ability to work effectively both independently without detailed daily supervision and as a member of a team, on a wide range of tasks.
- Ability to question and challenge existing norms in a bid to create new avenues of thought and practice.
Terms and Conditions: UHAI EASHRI will offer competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience and ability.
UHAI EASHRI is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on any basis including ethnicity, physical ability, age, gender identity and sexual orientation.
The position is open only to East African nationals and residents
To apply for the position, please submit the following documents:
- A one-page cover letter describing why you are interested in the position and why you are the ideal candidate for this position
- Your CV
- Salary expectations
Send your application documents via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with Operations Officer as the subject line.
The application deadline is end of day Friday, 26th August 2016.