African Virtual University (AVU)
Vacancy Notice: Business Development Manager
1.0. Introduction: The African Virtual University (AVU) www.avu.org is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization established by charter with the mandate of significantly increasing access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of information communication technologies.
A Charter, establishing the AVU as an Intergovernmental Organization, has been signed so far by fourteen (19) African Governments: Kenya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Ivory Coast, Tanzania, Mozambique, Democratic Republic of Congo, Benin, Ghana, Republic of Guinea, Burkina Faso, Niger, South Sudan, Sudan, The Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Ethiopia and Cape-Verde.
The AVU has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a Regional office in Dakar Senegal with Host-Country Agreements and Diplomatic Status with the two governments.
The AVU Business Plan 2014-2019 has two main thrusts:
(a) The educational and support services; and
(b) development services.
The most important aspect of the plan is the escalation of the educational and support services which focuses on escalating academic programs through the new AVU project also known as full-fledged University project.
The AVU plans to focus on increasing access to quality education and throughout the African continent in collaboration with state members and partner institutions.
The AfDB is funding a second phase of the Multinational Project which will build on the first phase and will extend its benefits to more countries.
The overall objective of the AVU Multinational Project II is to strengthen the capacity of the AVU and a network of 27 institutions to deliver and manage quality ICT integrated education and training opportunities in 21 African countries.
The project has the following activities:
(1) Establishment of new Open Distance and eLearning (ODeL) Centers and/or upgrading of exiting AVU Learning Centers as well as Internet connectivity provision at AVU Partner Institutions;
(2) Development and/or improvement, and delivery of four ICT integrated Programs: ODeL Profession Development (ODeLPD); Teacher Education (TE), Applied Computer Science (ACS), and Peace Management and Conflict Resolution;
(3) Gender Mainstreaming
(4) Research and Development;
(5) Promotion and development of Open Education Resources (OERs); and
(6) Enhancement of AVU Capacity
To successfully implement these project activities the AVU wishes to engage a Business Development Manager whose primary responsibility will be to efficiently and effectively manage all the projects and business Services.
2.0. Scope of Work
The Business Development Manager will lead the Projects and Business Services unit which includes Marketing and Communication and Monitoring and Evaluation.
The Manager will report to the Rector and will be responsible for the following activities:
- Coordinate the implementation and monitoring of the AVU Business Plan 2014-2019 and responsible for the coordination of the development of the next business plan
- Supervise the Marketing and Communication Officer
- Supervise the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
- Write proposals to secure new projects
- Increase sale of existing AVU services
- Diversify AVU services’ portfolio
- Manage AVU membership and clients as well as all sale communications
- Ensure that the implementation of projects and services is well coordinated with other units such as Academic Programs, Information Technology, Finance and Administration, the AVU Multinational II project coordinating unit, as well as the AVU office in Dakar Senegal
- Manage budget, including preparation of regular cash flow forecasts and ensuring timely submission of reports and reconciliation of funds with Finance and Administration;
- Providing regular reports to Management;
- Any other task that may be requested by the Rector;
3.0. Expected Deliverables
- AVU Business Plan coordinated and monitored ; the development of the new business plan well-coordinated
- Implementation of projects and services well-coordinated with other AVU units
- AVU partnerships well managed
- Marketing & Communication and Monitoring& Evaluation well implemented
- New projects secured
- Sale of AVU services increased significantly
- AVU Services diversified
- A well-managed budget for all projects and services
- Regular reports provided
- A master Degree in Business Administration, project management, Education or related field. A PhD qualification is an added advantage.
- At least 5 years proven record of strategic planning, business development and project management
- Proven record of proposals writing
- Strong organizational skills.
- Proven record of partnerships and sales management in an multicultural international organization
- Experience in Marketing and Communication
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation an asset
- Computer skills; Microsoft Office, Power Point, Excel, Access, MS Project, Internet skills, Proficiency in Learning Management Systems.
- Knowledge of Open, distance and eLearning is an asset
- Knowledge of and/or experience in higher education in Africa is an added advantage
- Strong writing and communications skills in English. Knowledge of French and/or Portuguese is and added advantage
5.0. Modalities of Work: The Manager will work full time dedicating 8 hours in a day for 5 days a week.
6.0 Duration: 24 Months
7.0 Reporting: The Manager will work under the supervision of the AVU Rector or such other person as the client may designate from time to time in writing.
The salary will be commensurate with the qualification and experience of the successful candidate
How to Apply
The successful candidates will be appointed for 24 months.
This position is based at AVU offices in Nairobi, Kenya.
Application must include an application letter highlighting suitability for the position and detailed curriculum vitae with: a telephone number; email; and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and must have BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT MANAGER as the email subject
The closing date for this application is September 21st 2016 at 18:00 East African Time (UTC/GMT + 3).
Note: ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted
The African Virtual University (AVU) www.avu.org is an equal opportunity employer.