Centre for Health Solutions – Kenya (CHS) is an indigenous, not-for-profit organisation that utilises local expertise and strategic partnerships to ensure the implementation of evidence informed solutions and interventions to existing and emerging public health concerns.
CHS is currently sourcing for a high calibre, self-motivated and dynamic individual to fill the position of Laboratory Advisor
Location: Siaya County
Overall Job Function: Reporting to the Program Director, the incumbent will be responsible for providing technical support in the planning and implementation of laboratory services required for HIV prevention, care and treatment services within facilities supported by CHS in coordination with the National AIDS and STI Control Program (NASCOP), Ministry of Health and Partners
- To assist with the planning and implementation of laboratory activities required for CHS-supported HIV/AIDS prevention, care and treatment programs in Kenya, including baseline laboratory assessments and laboratory capacity development and technical
- Advise in Implementation of Laboratory Services
- To provide technical assistance to facility-level laboratory personnel, including regular and systematic observation of laboratory testing procedures, and ongoing bench-level supportive supervision and instruction
- To provide technical assistance to facility-level laboratory managers, including: establishing routine workflow; developing/refining SOPs, job aids, log books, and referral forms as needed; planning of lab activities to improve test performance and decrease turn around time; and developing and implementing an equipment maintenance program
- To help implement and monitor efficient documentation of laboratory results at the sites, as well as effective linkages between laboratory and clinical services
- To supervise laboratory reagent and consumable purchase and distribution
- To supervise equipment purchase, installation and maintenance
- To provide technical assistance in rapid HIV tests, hematology and clinical chemistry tests, CD4 Testing and HIV Viral Load Sample Transport Network.
- To supervise the laboratory network transports samples to county hospitals
- To develop SOPs for major equipment and procedures or assays
- To prepare reports on progress of each site on project implementation activities
- To assist in the implementation of quality management/quality assurance activities.
- To participate in technical working groups at the national and county levels
- Diploma in clinical laboratory services. A degree is preferable
- Five years experience in managing laboratory services and programs.
- Experience with MOH and donor funded programs is an advantage.
- Experience with design of programs, SOPs, tools and guidelines
- Experience in capacity building of laboratory personnel
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain relationships with project staff, donors, sub-contractors and other partners
- Ability to identify problems, design interventions and oversee their implementation
- Must demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills in both English and Kiswahili.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to email their applications and detailed CV with contact details of three referees to email@example.com clearly indicating the job title and reference number on the subject line, on or before 5:00PM on Wednesday, September 14, 2016.
CHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification