The Council of Governors (CoG) is established under Section 19 of the Intergovernmental Relations Act 2012 with the mandate to provide a mechanism for consultation amongst County Governments, share information on performance of the counties in execution of their functions, facilitate capacity building for governors, and consider reports from other intergovernmental forums on national and county interests amongst other functions (Section 20).
To enable the Council achieve its mandate and vision, the Council wishes to recruit results oriented individual with drive, vision and creativity to fill the following position:
Key duties and responsibilities:
Reporting to the Director of Legal Services, the Legal Officer will perform the following duties:
- Research and prepare legal briefs on legal issues confronted by the office.
- Ensure up to date documentation of important legal paper work.
- Coordinate logistics of the meetings.
- Assist the legal consultants in follow up actions pursuant to meetings, MOUs, legal deeds and annual returns.
- Compile any required information, maintain documentation and periodically update the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and the Legal and Human Rights Committee of the Council of Governors.
- Review and provide feedback on legal aspects of all Committee of the Council of Governors.
- Enhance support and networking with the County Attorneys forum and other Sectorial County Executive Committees.
- Maintain and provide access to statutory registers that inform all the CoG Committees
- Ensure the Council of Governors Secretariat’s compliance with regulatory requirements such as annual submission of legal, financial and other mandatory reports.
- Supervise the legal Research and Legal Interns.
- Undertake any other responsibilities as assigned by the Director and/or the Chief Executive Officer (CEO).
Required Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate shall possess the following:
- A law degree from recognized University
- An advocate of the high court of Kenya
- Hold a valid practicing certificate
- Member of the Law Society of Kenya
- Advance computer applications
- 4 years’ relevant experience
- Negotiation and analytical skills;
- Strong communication and reporting skills;
- Strong organization and inter personal skills; and
- Good leadership, mentorship and coaching skills
- Meets the requirements of Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to research, digest, analyze and present material clearly and concisely.
- Have excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work on her/his own initiative.
- Honesty and reliability and attention to detail.
- Flexibility and adaptability to juggle a range of different tasks and to work extra hours to meet deadlines.
- Discretion and an understanding of confidentiality
The contract duration is for three (3) years renewable annually subject to availability of resources and performance.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a CV, cover letter, copies of ID, certificates, testimonials, current and expected remuneration, names and addresses of three referees to email@example.com on or before Friday, 23rd September 2016 and indicate the name of the position you are applying for as the Email subject