and highly skilled professional to drive the delivery of the expanded
mandate for the following position within its establishment.
CPF Group is a group of companies and retirement benefits schemes
operating in Eastern Africa and offering a dynamic pool of services in
Scheme Administration, Retirement Benefits Services, Financial, Training
are:- Local Authorities Pension Trust (Defined Benefits Scheme), County
Pension Fund (Laptrust Umbrella Retirement Fund (Defined Contributions
Scheme), CPF (Individual) Pension Scheme, CPF Financial Services Ltd,
Laser Infrastructure & Technology Solutions Ltd., Laser Property
Services Ltd., and Laser Insurance Brokers Ltd.
- Legal Associate
- Legal Officer
governance, compliance and general company secretarial& legal matters in generally assisting the Group Head of Legal & Company Secretarial.
- Provide leadership and ensure efficient and effective management of staff and resources in the Company Secretarial and Legal division.
- Represent Legal in cross functional meetings and will closely interface with the subsidiaries as well as the Executive Committee of Management.
- Drive, embed, support, implement and achieve the strategic plans and objectives of the Legal Function in line with the business strategy
- Identify new initiatives and proposals, aligned with the Legal function’s mandate and the Company’s strategy and values to ensure legal effectively operates within the institutional and legal framework
- Continuously develop technical and managerial skills and acting as a leader and role model in the Group
- Ability to operate within a team, playing various roles, leading and supporting and all the while maintaining excellent communication with team members.
- Responsibility for preparation of statutory Returns and the filing of these within statutory timelines for all companies.
- Assist the Group Head of Legal & Company Secretarial in preparation of for Board meetings as and when required
- Responsible for absolute statutory compliance.
- Ensure that use of the Company Seal is duly recorded in the registrar of seals
- Providing assistance in convening the Board, Board Committees and Shareholder meetings.
- Review and provide legal advice on tender documents, staff contracts, and any other legal matter.
- Review ongoing cases and advice management accordingly.
- Liaise with relevant functional areas to ensure that where legal risks have been identified, appropriate courses of action have been taken.
- Provide legal protection and risk management advice to management especially on contract management.
- Provide and interpret legal information, conduct training and disseminate appropriate legal requirements to officers.
- Review and advise management on legal implications of internal policies and procedures.
- Review and draft contracts, agreements and internal policies and ensure that they are in compliance with all statutory or legal requirements.
- Review all contracts or any other documentation where the company has committed itself and assess legal implications that need to be brought to the executive management’s attention.
- Review progress of outstanding litigation and liaise with and manage external lawyers.
- Formulate compliance check-lists to be used for the purpose of ensuring that all information required is provided accordingly.
- Continuously monitor compliance with statutory obligations and advise management accordingly.
- Prepare, review and modify contractual instruments to assist and support various business activities.
- Negotiate, review and draft documentation for business transactions and prepare and advise on the necessary checklist to be adopted to ensure information is submitted on time.
- Provide continuous leadership, supervision, training and development of department staff ensuring an effective and motivated team.
- Liaise with the HR department in conducting performance appraisals and ensure competency and training gaps are addressed.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly divisional reports for decision making
- Prepare Divisional work plans and guide the team to ensure delivery of the same
Qualification and Experience Requirements
- Company Secretary qualification with relevant certification in Kenya would be most preferable
- LLB Undergraduate Degree, from a recognized institution of higher learning.
- A Master’s Degree in the relevant field will be an added advantage.
- Degree in Law with at least 4 years post admission experience
- Broad knowledge and experience in corporate governance and working knowledge of legislative drafting, contracts management and commercial matters
- At least five years legal experience ideally in a leading organisation, with a proven track record in contract negotiation and drafting;
- Proven track record of providing accurate and effective legal counsel; and
- Proven track record of adding value to an organisation through the development of comprehensive contract documents that mitigate risk and penalties.
- In-depth knowledge of regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of the legal aspects of Financial Institutions
- Strong leadership and managerial skills;
- Excellent relationship management and communication skills necessary for interaction with all key stakeholders
- Effective stakeholder engagement and ability to provide independent advice(orally and in writing) to stakeholders and management on highly technical legal matters;
- Demonstrated success in managing and conducting a variety of litigation matters;
- Good planning and organization skills; and
- Proven ability to delicately solve sensitive matters.
- Attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
- Adherence, without exception, to compliance deadlines and internally set deadlines.
- Ability to improve existing processes.
- An orderly mind and excellent organizational and prioritization skills.
you meet the requirements stipulated for any of the above positions,
please write in confidence quoting the position title and reference
number on the subject of the email or cover letter on or before Friday
7th October, 2016.
vitae, contact email and daytime telephone contacts, current position
and remuneration, names and addresses of three referees should be
emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms and Conditions
Applicants should attach the following documents with their applications:
- Valid Tax Clearance Certificate from Kenya Revenue Authority
- Higher Education Loans Board Clearance
- Latest Credit Reference Bureau Report
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission submission form
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Criminal Investigations Department
CPF Financial Services Ltd is an equal opportunity employer; canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.