Position Title: Finance Controller
Objective: The Finance Controller main functions are to efficiently and effectively coordinate the financial functions of the organization in order to meet the overall CVT’s goals.
Report to: Hierarchically to Country Director and functionally to the HQ Grants Accountant.
Main Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Systems, Compliance and Procedures: Ensure the existence of proper financial systems that facilitate the recording and production of accurate financial reports, meet CVT’s internal control requirements and safeguard its assets.
- Ensure that financial procedures are followed by all programs, and systems developed to accommodate the needs of those programs
- Continually review and manage implementation of financial management strategies, policies and procedures.
- Continually seek ways to improve the financial procedures/policies of CVT Kenya.
- Stay abreast of changes to the country’s legal system as they affect payroll and taxes.
- Continuously review and communicate cost control systems and procedures, including expenditure and authorization protocols and monitor operations to ensure compliance
- Ensure compliance with taxation and statutory requirements including preparing and managing VAT, PAYE and other statutory requirements. Document practices including updating finance and procurement manuals in consultation with the Country Director and HQ.
- Coordinate the timely, accurate and complete annual budget and revisions
- Monitor expenditures against budgets and highlight/address expense over run
- Prepare financial reports, both internal and for donors according to internal and donors’ standards and policies
- Perform timely and accurately posting of budgets and journal entries
- Oversee cost allocation systems in accordance with donors’ regulations
- Verify system’s reconciliation and verifying system’s balances
- Verify monthly bank reconciliations by the 10th of each month
- Meet with the Country Director on a monthly basis to review overall performance and implementation levels and discuss short term strategies
- Report monthly on the financial status of programs to the Country Director
- Consolidate monthly cash requirements for all locations and ensure timely information of the Country Director.
- Ensure smooth cash flow between HQ, country office and the field offices.
- Signing of petty cash for field operations.
- Prepare monthly Nairobi cash forecast along with the Management Team.
- Ensure journal entries related to petty cash are posted in a timely manner.
- Lead the preparation of internal and external audits and financial reviews.
- Review and address questions and concerns from auditors in consultation with the Country Director.
- Work with designated staff to ensure documents supporting monthly expenditures are copied and mailed to HQ in a timely manner for HQ’s internal audit.
- Ensure good internal and external communication with all stake holders including CVT HQ Grants Accountant, auditors, partners, funders, etc.
- Demonstrated strong ethical values at prior employment, strong attention to details and ability to follow instructions
- Minimum BA degree and CPA in Accounting or similar;
- At least ten years of relevant work experience;
- Preferred: Experience managing US Government funding and familiarity with compliance requirements;
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word and Excel);
- Good team player and able to work independently;
- Strong attention to details and ability to follow instructions;
- Excellent people management skills;
- Strong organizational and analytical skills;
- Good communication and problem solving skills.
- Is strictly committed to respect CVT’s confidentiality policy and to not use any information that s/he will know about CVT’s policies, procedures, and clients outside of CVT and to not approach (potential) clients for their involvement in CVT activities without prior approval of CVT’s supervisor
- Maintain neutrality regarding any sensitive issues such as religion, minority or political affiliation;
- Strong commitment to serve beneficiaries of CVT’s project regardless of their religion, gender, minority affiliation or political background
Interested candidates are requested to email their application letter and attached updated CV including Telephone contact and email of 3 referees to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.