Job level: 3
Reports to (title): Senior Associate – Analysis
Job Purpose: The Associate, Analysis will synthesize, analyze, and extract actionable recommendations from information collected from all of Evidence Action’s programs.
This position will be a critical piece of the Design, Data Processing and Analysis team that operates within Evidence Action’s broader Monitoring, Learning, and Information Systems (MLIS) team.
Duties and responsibilities
Monitoring and Evaluation Support
- The Associate, Analysis will provide support and guidance to Evidence Action’s monitoring systems:
- Create and update program monitoring systems to ensure appropriate measurements, sampling, and survey strategies
- Provide inputs and guidance to the design of survey instruments and other research tools that will enable clear and meaningful analysis
- Ensure robust documentation of the monitoring strategy, sampling frame, theory of change, and associated target indicators
- Maintain a service oriented, client-based approach in considering the core research questions held by Evidence Action program teams that will facilitate operational and cost-efficiency improvements.
- Provide inputs to drafts of Concept Notes detailing the research process for individual inquiries.
- Support operations research (e.g. supply chain and design oriented), market research (e.g. community sensitization) and cost-efficiency related projects using quantitative and qualitative methodology for improvements in program and to aid programmatic evidence-based decision making.
The Associate, Analysis will coordinate analysis activities across all Evidence Action – Africa Region programs (currently a total of 10 regional offices distributed between Kenya, Uganda, Malawi, and Tanzania).
- Analyze data on key topics to inform programmatic decision-making in the areas of operations, finance, coverage and adoption.
- Identify and produce well-designed regressions, correlations, conditional means, and other statistical measurements to express the results of program data.
- Compose reports ranging from Pre-Analysis Plans to Dashboard and Analytical Results / Write-ups
- Maintain proper documentation of all analysis for ease of replication and explain methodology used in analysis.
- Extract meaning, through analysis, from M&E and R&D activities that provides insightful interpretations of data.
- Provide key analytical and knowledge inputs for academic and non-academic conference presentations, articles, policy briefs, memos and major proposals;
- Contribute to geographic expansion decisions, and program improvements through the collection and analysis of key demographic and geospatial data;
- Support the development of impact models for key program decisions and metrics.
- Build and update info-graphics that successfully demonstrate program impacts and research results
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in economics, statistics or another quantitative field
- A minimum of 1-2 years’ work experience in a highly analytical and quantitative role
- Strong working knowledge of statistical software packages such as Stata, R, MatLab, SAS etc. with the ability to learn and adapt to new programs (experience with Stata and excel highly preferred.
- Strong interest in research on public health, epidemiology, water, and/or sanitation; prior knowledge of the associated literature a plus
- A working knowledge of geospatial analysis in ArcGIS/QGIS and mobile phone survey programming experience in Open Data Kit preferred (at minimum, willingness to learn and independently acquire new technical skills)
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills to work effectively with a team that is geographically dispersed
- Self-directed/self-motivating personality, with proven ability to manage demands from multiple supervisors while adhering to program deadlines and priorities
- Strong critical and analytical thinking skills
- Intellectual flexibility and willingness to form and adjust opinions based on evidence
- Quick to learn, motivated to self-teach and capable of independently translating new knowledge into practice
- Willingness to travel
In addition, this position requires a candidate to:
- Have a strong commitment to evidence-based practice and policy in the development field
- Be enthusiastic to develop personally and professionally as part of a growing global team
- Possess a strong attention to detail and a genuine love of working with data
Physical requirements: N/A
Direct reports: No direct reports