About MAVC: Making All Voices Count is an international initiative that contributes towards effective governance and accountability by enabling citizen engagement and open, responsive government in 12 countries in Africa and Asia.
Making All Voices Count began its work in June 2013 and will run until May 2017 (an extension till May 2018 is currently under consideration). It is implemented by a consortium consisting of Hivos (lead organisation), the Institute of Development Studies (IDS) and Ushahidi.
Using a $45m fund created by its donors, the Programme nurtures innovative approaches to strengthening citizen engagement and government accountability by:
- Making grants and brokering new relationships to support the development of new ideas and the scaling-up of successful initiatives.
- Investing in capacity-building for funded partners and other stakeholders in the technology, citizen engagement and open governance communities of programme countries.
- Carrying out and commissioning research to build a base of evidence about what works and why.
- Catalysing global action through engaging with policy makers, opinion formers and influencers in relevant debates.
Job Context: The Communications Manager is responsible for the coherence and roll-out of Making All Voices Count’s communications work across the programme.
S/He manages a team of two Regional Communications Officers (Africa and Asia) and then also functionally oversees the work of the Communications Officer who is recruited directly by IDS.
Contracted by Hivos, and based within the Hivos Nairobi office, s/he works closely with other consortium partners and Making All Voices Count’s strategic partners to incorporate inputs on technology and innovation, and monitoring, learning and evaluation into all communications work.
The position requires frequent travel, especially to Global Events to both work the content into MAVC communication products or present Communications products at these events together with MAVC staff that work at the Global level.
Making All Voices Count is committed to creating a diverse environment and Hivos is proud to be an equal opportunities employer.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree (or equivalent) in communications related to international development.
- Five to eight years of relevant international communications work experience managing project teams.
- Demonstrated understanding of country political and social dynamics in (at least two of the) Tier 1 countries (Kenya, Tanzania, Ghana, South Africa, Philippines, Indonesia).
- Up to date on latest developments with regards to policy debates and other initiatives on citizen engagement, transparency & accountability, open data and open government.
- Experience in remote team management desired.
- Analytical and conceptual skills linked to ability to reduce complex project and programme documents into short and clear messages for a wide range of audiences.
- Exceptional team management skills, able to build and empower a geographically dispersed team.
- Ability to liaise with different stakeholders in a multicultural setting.
- Willingness to travel extensively.
- Full professional proficiency in English with demonstrably excellent written and verbal skills.
- Compelling experience in working with all types of media.
- Confident working in a research and tech-orientated environment.
Like to apply?
To apply kindly send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the suitable candidate for this position to email@example.com.