Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KMFRI), a State Corporation under the Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries was established by an Act of parliament (The Science and Technology Act Cap. 250 of the Laws of Kenya of 1979) which has since been repealed by The Science, Technology and Innovation Act No.28 of 2013.
The Institute mandate is to undertake research in marine and freshwater fisheries, aquaculture, environmental and ecological studies, in order to provide scientific data and information for sustainable exploitation, management and conservation of Kenya’s fisheries resources, and contribute to National strategies of food security, poverty alleviation, clean environment and creation of employment as provided for under vision 2030.
The Institute has Research Centers and Stations located at Mombasa, Kisumu, Nairobi, Naivasha, Baringo, Kegati, Sangoro, Sagana and Turkana.
KMFRI is seeking to recruit an Institute Engineer to fill the vacant position within its approved establishment:
Duties and responsibilities
- Head of Engineering and asset management department
- Plan and coordinate activities in line of specialization.
- Develop and maintain work plans for civil and marine works and other infrastructure related activities.
- Maintenance and repair of institute research vessels.
- Maintenance and repair of institute research vehicles
- Electrical, electronic and control engineering at management level.
- Inspection and supervision of building maintenance works.
- Installation, inspection and testing of plant and equipment.
- Marine engineering at management level
- Supervision and overseeing training of staff in the department
- Ensure that performance contracting targets remain on course in liaison with Deputy Directors
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Minimum Requirements for Appointment
- Masters of science Degree in mechanical engineering, or electrical Engineering, or Building and civil engineering from a recognized institution
- Must be registered by the engineers registration board of Kenya or its equivalent
- Satisfactorily served seven (7) years at senior management position
- Experience in marine engineering will be an added advantage.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications with a detailed resume and copies of certificates and testimonials to the address shown below not later than Monday, 26th September, 2016
Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute,
P.O. Box 81651 – 80100,
Phone: 020-8021560, 020-8021561
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.