M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: GSM Co-ordinator
Location: Nairobi, HQ
Position Start: As soon As Possible
Reporting to: Chief Systems Officer, East Africa
Purpose: Co-Ordinate M-KOPA’s activities relating to GSM SIMs that are
critical to M2M business: planning SIM supply with Safaricom and other
network providers, troubleshooting of GSM issues affecting customer
devices, and understanding and optimising spend on GSM communications.
Who We Are: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 350,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use instalment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for Kshs 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPANET.
As of January, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 900 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognised for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
- Liaise with GSM networks & M-KOPA’s inventory forecasting function, to ensure that active SIMs are available to meet production schedule
- Liaise with M-KOPA production team to monitor & report on impact of SIM issues to the production schedule
- Maintain a record of SIM / device match for the stable of M-KOPA SIMs
- Liaise with GMS networks & M-KOPA stakeholders to understand impact of network issues, & to drive resolution
- Detailed cost analysis of communications for SIMs in M-KOPA devices to identify areas of concern
- Recommend & follow up actions to control spend on SIM communication.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to details, and ability to manage well through ambiguity and complexity
- Ability to execute and follow-through to on-time completion of tasks and projects
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Strong communicator with excellent verbal, analytical, organisational and written skills
- Strong ICT skills including a good knowledge of MS Office
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
Skills & Experience
- 2 years of work experience
- Understanding of GSM technology and operations, through working with a network operator, a plus
Remuneration: Competitive package covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, please CLICK HERE
and follow the application instructions to apply online. It is advised to complete all the required fields as requested as well as any assessments stipulated as a requirement.
Please Note: M-KOPA Solar is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained staff. Women, minorities and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
In compliance with applicable laws and in furtherance of its commitment to fostering an environment that welcomes and embraces diversity, M-KOPA does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, creed, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status or genetic information in its programs or activities, including employment.
M-KOPA, as a policy, does not collect/charge any money as a pre-employment or post-employment requirement. This means that we never ask for ‘recruitment fees’, ‘processing fees’, ‘interview fees’ or any other kind of money in exchange for offer letters or interviews at any time during the hiring process.