The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents.
In the Horn of Africa, South Sudan and Yemen (HoASSY) region, about 40% of school age children are out of school and require urgent support to access quality education.
- Provide leadership, management, and clear strategic direction to the programme
- Accountable for well-organized planning and implementation of programme activities as well as changes in programme direction as needed
- Accountable for efficient use of resources and achievement of results
- Establish, maintain, and coordinate successful relationships with numerous stakeholders and partners.
- Responsible for the development of staff capacity and guidance to senior technical staff and programme teams.
- Engage with team members, partners, and beneficiaries at project sites to monitor progress and revise the project’s approach as needed.
- Accountable directly to the donor and ensure that the project meets desired goals and objectives and to report on progress.
- Accountable for budget projections, spending, and reporting in accordance with donor and NRC requirements.
- Accountable for the application of the programme specific M&E Framework including review of progress against bench marks
- Accountable for organizational learning from programme implementation
- Accountable for the collection, collation and dissemination of programme information and analysis of results for the purposes of programme decision making, communication and advocacy
- Provide technical oversight and overall support to the EAC project activities, ensuring quality standards and developing tools to facilitate project implementation in the region
- Coordinate the EAC project implementation in the five selected countries in the region, organizing technical review meetings and establishing a forum for project staff to seek advice and share experiences
- Provide technical guidance and ensure that the EAC project implementation is in compliance with the donor’s agreed requirements, government and NRC policies as well as community expectations
- Ensure capacity building of the EAC project implementation staff where necessary and conduct periodic field visits for support and problem solving
- Support the country education specialists in developing proposals for co-funding of the EAC project as well as providing input on needs and gaps.
- Identify and monitor risks, constraints, technical issues and escalate issues related with EAC education project in the region based on evaluations, field visits and periodic reports for timely leadership action.
- Standardize technical approaches and guidelines around EAC education project implementation in the region
- Contribute to the overall education CC program and strategy development in collaboration with the Regional education advisor
- Ensure integrated approach for NRC education programmes in the region and create synergies with other core competencies by closely working with the Regional CC Advisers
- Liaise and collaborate with relevant local authorities and other key stakeholders.
- Promote the rights of refugees, IDPs and returnees in line with the regional advocacy strategy.
- At least 8 years of technical experience implementing and managing education related interventions (formal and non-formal education/ education in emergencies, Teacher training etc), especially in refugee/ IDP/ displacement contexts
- Senior level education programme and/ or technical supervision and coordination experience (ideally in horn/ sub-Saharan Africa region)
- Experience in leading multisectoral assessment teams and providing technical guidance on education in emergencies
- Solid experience in programme monitoring and evaluation as well as ability to design M & E tools relevant to the education sector
- Ability to work closely with field based national staff and experience in various staff training
- High level of communication, interpersonal, representation and negotiation skills
- Ability to write high quality concept notes and technical sections for donor proposals
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Knowledge in Arabic language will be an added advantage
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Initiating action and coping with change
- Ability to work under pressure and with limited supervision
- Able to present and represent an organisation
- Culturally sensitive and coping with a changing environment
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong analysis skills (qualitative and quantitative)
- Experience working with statistical computer software packages
- Goal oriented with ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast paced and complex environment.
- Flexible and proactive attitude towards problem-solving
- Duty station: Nairobi
- Contract period is for 12 months with possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Nairobi
- 40% Travel is expected.
Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Education / Training
- Role: Supervisor
Go to www.nrc.no to apply online
Deadline for application: 03/10/2016