Norwegian Refugee Council
Field Office Coordinator
Location: Mandera – Kenya
Ref. nr.: 3192969502
Number of positions: 1
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people.
NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents.
In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
The purpose of the Field Office Coordinator is to run the day to day support functions at a field office.
- Manage support staff at field office level
- Manage day to day HR & Admin, finance, logistics and security tasks of the field office
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, handbooks, procedures and SOPs/guidelines
- Ensure adherence to Security and Risk Management policy and procedures
- Coordinate and assist with budgets and costs for the field office’s shared costs and support functions
- Provide support in the training and development of staff
- Provide support to project implementation at field office level
- Coordinate representation meetings with the UN, partners and authorities
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
- Under the supervision of the Area Manager he / she oversees programmes and operations in Mandera in accordance with NRC strategy and mandate in Kenya.
- Implement internal processes and employee and learning objectives and initiatives set out in the annual Plan of Action, at area level;
- Ensure support function input is provided at project development stage, with the development of procurement and staffing plans to support the implementation of new projects in the area
- As a sub budget holder, the Field Coordinator can approve costs within his internal delegation of responsibility after ensuring that procedures are respected and followed.
- Monitor, guide and manage the field staff to ensure that they carry out their duties and responsibilities in accordance with their job descriptions and performance plan in line with the program implementation modality and approach.
- Providing necessary inputs and data required for new proposals.
- Closely work with monitoring and evaluation team to monitor on the implementation progress of the project activities.
- Ensuring assessments and data collection are conducted in area of operations according to NRC guidelines.
- Monitor the evolving of the humanitarian situation in Mandera County and send situation report and updating to the Area Manager.
- Represent NRC in external meetings in the area of implementation providing feedback reports to the Area Manager.
- In close consultation with the Area Manager coordinate with external agencies and County Authorities in Mandera County.
- Travel as dictated by the need of projects, security and staff
- University degree preferably in development studies, community development, economic and other social sciences
- At least three years of working experience in field offices and teams coordination
- Experience working with Non-Governmental organizations,
- Experience from working in support functions in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
Education field: Social sciense
Education level: College / University, Bachelor’s degree
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training
- Strong in managing difficulties and challenges mainly from the local actors
- Understanding of conflict sensitivity, protection and do no harm
- Computer skills
- People-centred management skills
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Local language skills
Duty station: Mandera
Duty station: Mandera
Contract period is for 12 months with possibility of extension.
Salary / benefits: According to NRC’s general directions. The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for the NRC Office in Mandera
Travel: Some travelling must be expected
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Coordination
- Role: Middle / line manager
How to Apply
Go to www.nrc.no to apply online
Deadline for application: 16/09/2016