Livestock Health Manager
Reporting to the directors, the Livestock Health Manager will be responsible for the financial and physical performance of the farm.
He/she must be highly skilled in all aspects of the farm business.
In this role, the manager will be responsible for implementing the short and long term business plans.
He/she will be expected to drive the business and work with the directors to ensure business success.
He/she will be required to optimize the farm’s performance.
The incumbent must possess excellent communication and leadership skills, finding ways to motivate employees while attempting to keep morale high and turnover low.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Exemplify the vision, mission and core values of the company which are taking responsibility for our actions and decisions, sharing our knowledge and expertise for continuous improvement
- The jobholder must project a professional company image through in-person interaction
- Relate to others in a manner that creates a sense of teamwork and co-operation.
- Maintain effective communication with colleagues, both junior and senior.
- Supervise of personnel assigned to the farm
- Develop the 5 year Business Plan and Annual Budget
- Ensure care for feed, monitor, medicate and minor treatment on livestock within the farms is done
- Responsible for all essential functions of the Animal health Technicians.
- Submit field visit reports weekly, monthly, quarterly project review reports, and technical progress reports to the CEO on time and as required by the Directors.
- Timely prepare field activities, budget projections, expense projections and activity reports
- Promote and coordinate training for farmers on proper feeding standards, hygiene and treatment
- Support the farm Line Managers in developing and preparing monitoring plans and ensure that activities are in line with achieving expected outputs
- Provide technical support and supervision to Animal Health Technicians (AHT) and Line Managers staff including capacity building trainings, coaching, mentoring and monitoring
- Monitor and recommend quality and amount of feed to be given to particular livestock by the farm Line Managers and team
- Monitor the seasonal expenditure in line with the budgeted cash flow
- Liaise with key rural professionals e.g. vet, fertilizer rep, stock agents and contractors to ensure smooth operation of the farm
- Ensure company products are presented for sale in line with company policy regarding quality, quantity and timelines of delivery and are marketed in accordance with the company marketing policy
- Develop, review and manage repairs and maintenance schedule for all plant, machinery and infrastructure in coordination with the Maintenance, Dairy and Poultry Line Managers
- Analyze productivity and health levels of the pullets and dairy animals by ensuring management is updated on the same within agreed timeframes
- Ensure all relevant company policies are understood and adhered to
- Receive and sign off all official documents issued and received on the farm by customers
- Keep good and up to date records of all goods in stock i.e. feeds supply, agrochemicals as well as farm equipment being used by all casuals
- Enforce a strict bio-security policy that allows for a death rate of 0.01% per year whereby management must be notified of the time and IN – TIME and cause of death of every single bird and dairy animal and the carcass must be viewed and signed off by the post holder before it is disposed
- Submission of reports as per agreed timeframe with specifications as herein
- Provide first level support for customer and employee complaints, suggestions, and concerns
- Additionally, the Farm Manager will be required to attend operations meetings and contribute on matters of policy and administration that are relevant to the company
NB: The incumbent must have good knowledge and skills in employment management, feeds management, livestock management, environment management, and quality and safety
- A Degree in animal health of a related course from a credible institution
- Diploma in store management /Purchase and supplies/Business Related Field
- Minimum one year experience in a related field
- High computer proficiency
Admired Skills and experience
- Previous experience managing a large farm with over 30 workers
- Thorough knowledge of Kenya Veterinary Board policies and procedures
- Working knowledge of breeds, diseases, medical conditions, and animal handling & behavior
- Must be patient, courteous and work well under stressful conditions, detail oriented and have strong time management skills
- Ability to learn and quickly adapt to changes in programs and procedures
- Must have a valid practicing license from the KEVB (Vet Board of Kenya)
- Must be +27 years of age *a mature candidate preferably male*
- Cost conscious, assertive, a good communicator, problem solver
- A business background in education or in practice is preferred
- A critical thinker
- A problem solver
- Possess good interpersonal skills
- Possess a valid BCE Driver’s License
- Managerial Competencies Required
- Good communication, teamwork and coach-ability, problem solving, self-management, technical and practical skills, leadership and people management, administration and quality compliance, business and asset management.
How to Apply
If you meet the above qualifications, you are requested to send your application and CV indicating their current/previous and expected salary to firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com by September 12, 2016.
Candidates are required to quote the Title of the position being applied for on the subject line of the email.
Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.
Pwani Feeds Limited is an equal opportunity employer.