Sanergy is an award-winning social venture that builds healthy, prosperous communities by making hygienic sanitation accessible and affordable in Africa’s urban informal settlements.
Since November 2011, we have launched over 750 Fresh Life Toilets to a network of more than 350 Fresh Life Operators. We have collected and converted over 9,000 tons of waste. At the same time, we have built a team of over 250 people.
Job Purpose Statement: Farm Star helps African farmers prosper. We offer safe, high-quality, organic agricultural inputs, safely and sustainably derived from treated organic waste. Our products help ensure food security, while improving farmer welfare.
We’re searching for a proven sales leader to join as Assistant Sales Manager to help run our Farm Star sales team.
Reports to: Head of Byproducts Sales
Role & Responsibilities
Lead by Example in Selling
- Learn and utilize the company’s direct sales methodology to help manage a team of 5-8 technical sales reps in selling an exciting new product targeting small and medium-scale farmers
- Conduct in-field follow days with individual sales reps to support them in fully implementing the product sales cycle
- On-board and train new sales reps on the company’s sales methodology
- Support the sales team in reaching their targets for both input activities and sales results
- Use sales data for evaluating both input activities and results
- Provide coaching for the sales team to help them resolve the challenges they face and continuously improve their selling abilities
- Conduct regular one-on-one meetings with members of the sales team to help them resolve issues and improve their performance
- Manage Sales Team’s attitude and lead them to shift their attitude to a better place for optimal performance
- Help refine the overall business strategy and the sales strategy for Evergrow in particular
- Coordinate with the operations team to ensure that all warehouse locations are stocked with product and conduct regular inventory audits of each location.
- Periodically audit existing customers to collect feedback on their experience with Farm Star
- Conduct quarterly reviews with sales team and plan next steps in training for professional growth and development
- Degree or higher level education
- Min. 3 years experience in managing sales teams, preferably in direct sales
- Aptitude for numbers and data-driven decision-making
- Knowledge of agricultural inputs market for small and medium-scale farmers preferred or ability to learn technical knowledge quickly
- Humility and interest in learning in-depth about a new industry, new product category, new sales process, and everything else that’s needed.
- Coachable – a desire to learn, constantly improve, and act on feedback
- Willingness to work outside of Nairobi and travel to support the sales team approx. 80% of the time.
- History of professional growth
- Sense of humour
- Highly developed personal organization
- Ability to coaching or teach
- Goal driven and self motivated when working independently
- Creativity when problem solving
- Excellent communication skills
- High level of motivation and entrepreneurial drive