About ZanaAfrica: ZanaAfrica is a social enterprise headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya that provides dignity and inspiration for women and girls to live their purpose through sanitary pads and related products.
We envision a future where girls in East Africa live healthy, safe, informed lives while defining their own purpose – a world in which menstrual health management is recognized as a human right, and the onset of puberty as the most effective time to engage girls in a range of personal health decisions.
About the Role: ZanaAfrica Group is building a powerful movement for girls and women in Kenya by delivering awesome feminine hygiene products coupled with the critical, relevant, and engaging information girls and women need and seek to make informed decisions.
The Production Director will be a key player on the magazine team, ensuring that project deliverables are being met and working closely with a highly talented Creative Team who develop and generate high quality content.
- Lead and oversee Nia Teen Magazine production cycles to ensure deadlines are met for termly distribution of the magazine in line with grant funding deliverables
- Ensure, alongside the Creative Director, all deliverables are met for completion of the magazine, including content mapping and creation, illustration and aspect creation, copy-editing, design and visual layout
- Coordinate content plan with the Editor while getting buy-in and approvals from relevant team members
- Manage and coordinate the review and sign off process across the Brand and Content components
- Lead procurement along with Creative Director and Chief Finance Officer of high-quality and Value for money printing partners
- Forecast hiring needs and onboard and support new positions for team when needed
- Oversee SMS Product Development
- Oversee and strategize the SMS platform development with the Connectivity
- Manager and Girl-Content Team to ensure the development of a girl-facing SMS platform that works harmoniously and responsively to magazine content
- Co-manage Connectivity Manager in his/her day-to-day development of the SMS platform
- Ideate, model, and test distribution strategies for magazine and SMS platform with the Chief Marketing + Branding Officer; contribute to establishing visibility of Nia Brand throughout Kenya
- Develop and maintain relationships with distribution partners
- Optimize physical attributes of magazine and included features (size, folding, perforation, etc.) for scale
- Bachelors in Communications, Marketing, Journalism, Writing, or related field, or relevant work experience
- 6-7 years of experience in creative industry and/or media-based education; experience in print production/publishing is highly preferred
- 3-4 years of project management and/or production traffic management experience; previous experience working with creative teams is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in both English and Kiswahili, including the ability to articulate creative concepts to team
- Strong planning and organizational skills; ability to prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously
- Previous experience in partnership development is a plus
- Well-versed in women and girls’ issues, reproductive health and human rights
- Versatility and a team-player attitude is a must; we are a small, collaborative, fastly evolving team
- Strong foundation in design; well versed visual sensibility
- Unapologetic belief and passion for girls and women’s rights and potential
- Knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite is highly preferred
- Fluent Kiswahili is a must
- Ability to conceptualize creative direction and curate creative output is an added plus
Culture: We’re a small group of bold, smart, dedicated individuals from diverse backgrounds who are passionate about changing the landscape for girls and women.
ZanaAfrica values girls and women’s’ right to choice in their reproductive health management, including access to family planning and abortion services. Any hired candidate will be expected to represent such values internally and to external partners.
How to Apply:
To apply, please include the position title and your name in the subject line of the email and send your CV, Cover Letter and a writing sample in PDF format to email@example.com along with a link to your LinkedIn profile.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS AND APPLICATIONS NOT IN PDF FORMAT WILL NOT BE REVIEWED.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis
Closing date: 31 Oct 2016