Department: Appraisal Monitoring & Evaluation Unit (AMEU)
Position: Appraisal Monitoring and Evaluation (AME) Officer
Direct Hierarchy: Project Officer
Functional Hierarchy: Appraisal Monitoring & Evaluation (AME) Manager based in Nairobi
Contract duration: 6 Months
Location: Burhakaba, Somalia
Starting Date: November 2016
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide.
ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters.
Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context.
Their 3,300 staff is committed in to responding to emergencies worldwide, to supporting recovery and rehabilitation, towards sustainable development.
I. Position profile
Under the supervision of the Project Officer, the Appraisal Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will be responsible for the management and implementation of Appraisal Monitoring & Evaluation (AME) Activities in Burhakaba, Somalia.
Objective 1: Development of AME project monitoring and evaluation plans, data collection tools and methodologies
- Designing of AME methodologies, terms of reference (TORs) and data collection tools to monitoring progress and outcomes of ACTEDs projects (including for baseline surveys, needs assessments, monitoring and project evaluations);
- Ensure that monitoring and evaluation activities are in-line with expected project goals, objectives and measure the defined indicators;
- Collaborate with Field Coordination and Programme Development Department to design logical frameworks and indicator collection plans;
- Work closely with the GIS Department and Programme Development Department in order to provide useful information for mapping and project reporting, as necessary;
- Liaise with partner/collaborating organizations for AME activities, as required.
Objective 2: Facilitate the collection of accurate, reliable and useful data for project implementation and development
- Plan and conduct field-level data collection, at different stages of the project to support project cycle management;
- Provide field supervision and plan logistical arrangements for conducting AMEU activities;
- Communicate regularly to the AMEU Manager and Capital AMEU Officer on the implementation progress of field missions;
- Conduct data collection using qualitative and quantitative methods and secondary data (reports, government statistics etc);
- Supervision of data entry and conduct data checking/cleaning for quantitative and qualitative data when necessary;
- Support the Capital AMEU Officer to ensure that AMEU information is stored and managed effectively and confidentiality is maintained in accordance with ACTED procedures.
Objective 3: Conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis and write timely and useful reports for programme development, management and implementation
- Conduct analysis of quantitative data, including preparing cross-tabulations, graphs and statistical analysis when required;
- Conduct qualitative analysis including writing up field-notes and use different methods to improve programme implementation, such as SWOT analysis, Problem-Solution tree, etc.
- Facilitate field team debriefing sessions;
- Facilitate quick and accurate reporting of monitoring result to ensure that ACTED, donors and other organizations can build upon successes and lessons learnt during the programme when requested by the AME Manager.
Objective 4: Management of AME team and external relationships under his/her responsibility
- Frequently communicate with Capital AMEU Officer on most matters, keeping the AMEU Manager informed;
- Daily supervision of AMEU Assistants in the Somalia Area, including development of work plans;
- Manage the AME activities in Burhakaba;
- Support the training of the AME staff on mobile data collection and paper questionnaire.
- Communicate weekly with AMEU Manager to coordinate monitoring schedules – requiring approval for all technical matters;
- Communicate daily with the Head of Office and FLAT officer in Baidoa requiring approval for all administrative, financial and logistical matters;
- Work with management and support staff to comply with ACTED rules and procedures;
- Completing all other duties and tasks, in accordance with the functions and duties of the AMEU as requested by the AMEU Manager or by ACTED Coordination; and
- Other tasks as required to complete necessary tasks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Sociology, Community Development, WASH, Rural Livelihoods or related field.
- Extensive experience of social research methods to conduct monitoring and evaluation for humanitarian and development initiatives/interventions. Knowledge and experience of participatory rural appraisal methods an asset.
- Excellent analytical skills in order to interpret qualitative and quantitative data and discern useful recommendations for programme implementation and development.
- Statistical analysis and IT skills, including use of SPSS and Excel for data analysis;
- At least 3 years of work experience in a similar field; former experience with humanitarian organizations is an asset.
- Somali National from Burhakaba with good English communications skills (both oral and written) and report writing skills.
- Strong team player of high integrity, pleasant personality, ability to work under least supervision and meet strict deadlines.
- Knowledge of Mobile data collection (ODK) is a plus
- Excellent team management skills
- Strong people management and leadership skills.
- Ability to work independently.
IV. Application Procedure
Qualified persons with the required skills are invited to submit their applications (most updated CV and cover letter) to email@example.com by or before 5.00PM on 2nd November, 2016 with the subject line clearly indicating the position you are applying for.
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
NOTE: ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind.
Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
If you receive any email/calls in relation to ACTED’s recruitment and you are unsure about its validity or origin, please contact us on nairobi.@acted.org
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer