The East African Community (EAC) is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
Applications are invited from highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat in accordance with the availability of Quota Points per Partner State.
Principal Customs Officer (Capacity Building)
Organ: EAC Secretariat
Directorate: Directorate of Customs
Job Reports To: Director Customs
Main Purpose of the Job: To coordinate and provide technical input the development and implementation of training strategies, work plans and capacity building programmes to enhance operational efficiency of customs administrations to realize the goals of the EAC customs union.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and review regional Customs training and capacity building strategies, policies, procedures and standards;
- Develop and implement annual training work plans in customs and related taxation areas;
- Coordinate the implementation of EAC Customs training curriculum, its accreditation of the EAC Customs Curriculum and that of Trainers;
- Develop a strategy for establishment of the EAC Customs Training Academy;
- Conduct regional training needs analysis and coordinate trainer capacity building programme;
- Develop and maintain an EAC Customs Experts database;
- Develop mechanism for monitoring and evaluation on the implementation of the EAC customs training programmes and strategy;
- Develop and build practical working linkages on capacity building with WCO, international organisations, Regional Economic Communities and relevant academic bodies;
- Identify and organize delivery of relevant international programmes locally;
- Coordinate and support Customs technical working groups;
- Any other official duties as may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
A Master Degree in Human Resource Management, MBA, Social science area or equivalent degree from a recognised University / Institution with exposure in Customs training.
At least 10 years’ experience in customs-related capacity development environment with 5 years at senior level.
Skills and Competencies:
Demonstrable knowledge and experience in Customs training and capacity building programmes.
Proficiency in computer, management, planning, networking, research and monitoring and evaluation skills.
Sound knowledge of change management and networking in a complex development context.
Eligibility for Applications: Applicants from the Republic of Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya and United Republic of Tanzania are eligible to apply for the above position under EAC Secretariat.
Terms and Conditions of Service: The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once and is subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
Fringe Benefits: The post offers attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance,
education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
Education Qualifications: All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience: Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work experience.
Equal Opportunity: The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly
encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth.
Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope.
For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 14th November 2016 .
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations precludes considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
All invitations for interviews will be done in writing
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Website : www.eac.int