The East African Community (EAC) is a regional intergovernmental organization comprising the Republic of Burundi, the Republic of Kenya, the Republic of Rwanda, the United Republic of Tanzania, and the Republic of Uganda with its headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The EAC mission is to widen and deepen economic, political, social and cultural integration to improve the quality of life of the people of East Africa through increased competitiveness, value added production, trade and investments.
Applications are invited from highly motivated and result-driven professionals who are citizens of East African Community Partner States (Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda) to apply for the following position tenable at East African Community-Secretariat in accordance with the availability of Quota Points per Partner State.
Principal Trade Officer – Trade in Services
Organ: EAC Secretariat
Directorate: Directorate of Trade
Job Reports To: Director Trade
Main Purpose of the Job: Coordinate and promote the implementation of trade in services integration and
programmes in the EAC Region.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate negotiations on and implementation of Trade in Services programmes of the EAC ;
- Plan and budget for activities related to Trade in Services;
- Develop analytical and technical briefs as well as discussion papers on Trade in Services;
- Organize EAC Partner States’ meetings on Trade in Services, provide technical guidance during the meetings and prepare the meeting reports;
- Initiate appropriate studies and researches on the various issues related to Trade in Services;
- Build capacity on Trade in Services in the Partner States;
- Monitor and evaluate the implementation of trade in services in the Region;
- Liaising with other relevant departments/directorates in the EAC;
- Secretariat with a view to advancing the trade in services agenda;
- Submit progress reports and recommendations to the Policy Organs and follow up on implementation of Council directives;
- Participate in professional development and training opportunities;
- Prepare annual budgets and performance reports for the Department;
- Implement Council decisions and prepare progress reports on Trade matters;
- Supervise and guide the Senior Trade Officer and other technical officials in the Department of External Trade;
- Carry out any other official duties assigned by the supervisors from time to time.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Masters Degree in either Economics, Business Administration, International Trade Law or equivalent degree from a recognised University/Institution.
- 10 years relevant experience particularly in trade in services with 5years at senior level.
Skills and Competences:
- Experience of providing advice to senior management and in dealing with Governments at a senior level.
- Ability to analyze and evaluate information from a wide variety of sources and present it in a usable format to a variety of audiences.
- Experience in drafting policy and discussion papers. Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Computer literate with strong IT skills and be competent in the use of Microsoft Outlook and Office products such as Word, Excel, Power Point.
- Ability to work harmoniously in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural environment.
Eligibility for Applications: Applicants from the Republic of Rwanda, Burundi, Uganda, Kenya and United Republic of Tanzania are eligible to apply for the above position under EAC Secretariat.
Terms and Conditions of Service: The above position is tenable for a contract of five (5) years renewable once and is subject to the application of the EAC Quota System.
Fringe Benefits: The post offers attractive fringe benefits including housing allowance, transport allowance, education allowance, a medical scheme, and insurance cover.
Education Qualifications: All candidates applying must have qualifications that are recognized by the relevant national accreditation body in their respective Partner State. This condition is applicable for locally and internationally attained qualifications.
All professions that require registration with the specific professional bodies will be expected to do so in compliance with the requirements of their respective Partner States.
Relevant Working Experience: Internship, training and apprenticeship will not be considered as relevant work
Equal Opportunity: The EAC is an equal opportunity employer; therefore, female candidates are particularly encouraged to apply. EAC will only respond to those candidates who strictly meet the set requirements.
How to Apply:
Interested candidates who meet the qualification and experience requirements for the above mentioned positions are advised to send their applications, detailed curriculum vitae, photocopies of academic certificates, names and contact details of three referees, and copy of National Identity Card, or Birth Certificate or Passport showing date of birth.
Please quote the respective reference number on both the application letter and envelope. For electronic submission, please quote the respective reference number on the subject of the email and send to the address given below.
Applications should be submitted to the address below not later than Monday, 14th November 2016.
- You may submit your application either electronically or in hard copy but not both.
- Applications which do not: indicate nationality and age; the reference number; or have an application letter attached; have certified copies of their academic degrees and other professional Certificates; or fail to provide three referees will be disqualified.
- Only qualified candidates will be contacted
- EAC Staff Rules and Regulations precludes considerations of applicants above 55 years of age.
Please note that EAC does not require candidates to pay money for the recruitment process.
All invitations for interviews will be done in writing
The Secretary General
East African Community
P. o Box 1096
Arusha – Tanzania.
Tel: +255 27 2162100
Fax: +255 27 2162190
Website : www.eac.int