Baseline Assessment Consultancy
Terms of Reference for Conducting Baseline Assessment
1.0 Background: Hope for Victoria Children (HOVIC) won a two year grant from the DREAMS Innovation Challenge to implement a two year project titled “Wasichana Twaweza” project.
The overall objective of the project is to solve lack of opportunities for young women and those also in the hidden sector to access gainful employment either formal or informal.
The project will benefit 1000 young women aged 19-24 years in 4 sub-counties in Kenya namely, Homa-bay town, Kisumu East, Kisumu Central and Bondo.
These sub-counties are in the 3 leading Counties with hyper-endemic HIV prevalence in Kenya namely Homa-bay (25.7%), Kisumu (19.3%) and Siaya (23.7%). They are also among the 9 counties in the high incidence cluster that contribute 65% of new HIV infections.
The secondary targets will include community, community leaders, employers, spouses, men as heads of families and also targeting perpetrators of rights of young women.
The innovation will address the information gap on the empowerment of young women and also community capacity gaps that hinder identification and support to young women after exiting secondary school.
The project will then address lack of training/skill transfer opportunities for young women in different areas of interest that affects their employability; by equipping them with skills to start businesses, creating linkages to micro credit available at the community level through micro credit organisations including the civil society
Objective 1: To improve access to employment opportunities in 1000 young women in 4 sub-counties through skills transfer, internship and apprenticeship
Objective 2: To increase the number of young women in formal and non-formal employment
Objective 3: To strengthen partnership, learning and knowledge exchange among 1000 young women in the four sub-counties.
Objective 4: To improve access to and uptake of HIV prevention and care, sexual and reproductive health services for 1000 young women.
3.0 Objective of the Baseline Assessment
The overall objective of the Baseline survey is to assess the situation and establish benchmark indicators that will the base for Monitoring and Evaluation plan and form platform for the impact evaluation of project which is to solve lack of opportunities for young women and those also in the hidden sector to access gainful employment either formal or informal
4.0 Scope and focus of the assignment
The consultant with support of the M & E Officer and project team will lead the baseline assessment process for the “Wasichana Twaweza” program in four sub-counties in Kenya namely, Homa-bay town, Kisumu East, Kisumu Central and Bondo.
It is intended that the baseline assessment will provide:
a) baseline data for the program as benchmarks for performance evaluation;
b) information that will assist in updating the result framework
c) information for the development of training modules and capacity building interventions and
d) information that will assist in identifying relevant business enterprise and employment opportunities for linkages of young women during project implementation.
5.0 Scope of Work
The consultant will be required to answer the following question in consultation with monitoring and evaluation officer.
- What are the current situation about employability of young women age (19-24) years in the three counties?
- What are the existing programs in the counties of Kisumu, Siaya and Homabay that addresses the issues of young women employability and their feasibility?
- What opportunities exist for expanding young women employability in the said counties?
- What type of enterprises would be viable for young women who would wish develop their own business?
- What is the vulnerability of this cohort of young women to HIV infection?
- What the structural challenges that predisposes them to HIV infection?
- How accessible are the loans facilities to the young women in the three counties?
6.0 Expected Deliverables
- A comprehensive baseline assessment report
- A report of all findings gathered during the baseline process and review of existing systems/structures and recommendations
- Systematic baseline database produced and delivered with final report
7.0 Approach and Methodology
It is highly anticipated that the consultant will take up both quantitative and qualitative methods for the Baseline assessment.
The consultant will be appreciated for using Participatory Tools and Techniques for data collection, which may include but not be limited to In-depth interview, Key informant interview, Focus Group Discussion with HOVIC staff, partners, government line ministries, community groups, among other stakeholders.
The consultant, during the course of this assignment, will report to the M & E officer, Head of Program and the Executive Director.
9.0 Proposed work plan
10.0 Time frame
The baseline survey will last for a period of 1 & ½ months, beginning the date of commencement
11.0. Expertise and Experience
- The suitable person must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in the fields of Social Sciences, Statistics, Demography, Research Methodologies, Development Studies, Education and any other related fields.
- The person should have worked with a development organization before for at least 3 years and has a minimum demonstrable experience of undertaking desk reviews, as well as rapid assessments & or evaluations.
- The consultant should be conversant with NGO’s operation with a focus on young women. Additional knowledge and experience on networks will be of great importance
- The consultant should have a significant experience of collecting and analyzing quantitative data from small scale sample surveys.
- The consultant should mention previous works in regard/ relation to quality assessment/evaluation processes in their proposal and give reference to previous clients.
- Able to reliably access the Internet, as well as relevant national policy/planning documents and surveys.
12.0 Application Process
Interested Consultant must submit the following documents:
a) Cover letter
b) Technical proposal which include;
- Brief explanation about the consultant/s with particular emphasis on previous experience in this kind of work
- Understanding of TOR and the task to be accomplished
- Proposed methodology
- Draft implementation plan
- CVs must be in electronic format
c) Financial Proposal
If persons intend to work in a team, they should indicate the team members and attach their CVs. Clearly highlight the Team leader whose minimum qualifications should be at least bachelor level
All documents must be submitted not later than October 21, 2016 at 5:00p.m via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy email@example.com
The comprehensive baseline report should include at least the following:
- Executive summary
- Methodology used
- Limitation of the assessment
- Rational of the assessment