icipe – African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment, and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences.
The Bio-resources Innovations Network for Eastern Africa Development (Bio-Innovate) Programme is a regional initiative established in 2010 with support from Sida, Sweden to support bioscience research and innovation activities in eastern Africa.
- Oversee the communication activities of the Programme and take lead in developing a communication strategy for the programme.
- Support the production of programme reports, publications, and web materials and other multimedia and promotional products (such as posters, information packages and documentaries).
- Manage the programme website and social media functions, by continuously monitoring to ensure that the site is maintained.
- Continuously provide web-friendly content to keep the site interesting and up-to-date with new programme information, news and publications.
- Work with the project leaders and teams in the six countries of eastern Africa in sourcing stories about their project activities, achievements, outputs and impacts for the Bio-Innovate website and e-newsletter, ensuring the accuracy of the information, as well as the liveliness of the news and pictorial presentation.
- Mentor and train project leaders and their project teams on generating appropriate communications materials to reflect project work.
- Manage programme’s public awareness activities, including events such as conferences and workshops.
- Identify and liaise with journalists in respective participating countries to publicise project and programme activities.
- Edit programme documents, write articles for the programme newsletter, and develop content for promotional materials.
- Work with graphic designers and printers in producing high quality promotional materials.
- Keep up-to-date about current trends in research communication and methods, to advise the programme on cost-effective ways of communication.
- Facilitate links with communication functions of host institution.
- Maintain a publications inventory and an efficient information management system.
- Compile presentations, handle mailing lists and coordinate distribution of project publications.
- Ensure Programme meeting materials are prepared in a timely manner, and proceedings are accurately captured and archived.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or a related discipline.
- Qualifications in print and electronic media, development communication, and information management are highly desirable.
- At least four years of experience in conducting communication function for an international organisation or NGO.
- Demonstrable experience in writing, editing, designing, web design management, blogging, use of Web 2.0 and social media tools.
- Experience in supporting communications and/or media relations in international research organisations is an added advantage.
- Ability to read, understand and assimilate complex technical information to produce clear, well-written summaries for a wide range of readership.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office packages.
- Knowledge of and skills in desktop publishing, HTML, photography and photo editing.
- Fluent English language skills, both written and spoken.
- Excellent organisational and documentation skills.
- Result Oriented/focused: Ability to consistently meet set goals.
- Focused and goal oriented: Ability to direct others to perform set duties.
- Professionalism: Application of ethics, principles, standards and expertise in all areas of work.
- Integrity: Honest, above reproach and appropriate in actions/behaviour and transparent in conduct.
- Teamwork, interpersonal relations: Ability to work in a team and with good networking and interpersonal skills.
- Good team worker: Working and relating with others in mutual support and respect towards common goals and shared vision.
- Multi-cultural fit and diversity: Ability to work effectively within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Innovation and creativity: Ability to generate new ideas and ways of working to continuously improve existing work processes, practices, and concepts.
- Willingness to travel.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and well within teams.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of stakeholders.
Interested applicants should submit:
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.