Vacancy: Bio-Innovate Finance and Administration Officer
Ref. No. NRS/175/102016
icipe – African Insect Science for Food and Health is a world-class research centre with a mission to alleviate poverty by ensuring food security, improving health, protecting the environment, and building the capacity of researchers and communities across the developing world through the application of insect sciences.
Employing more than 500 national and international staff, icipe is headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya with outposts in Ethiopia, Somalia, Uganda, and on the shores of Lake Victoria in western Kenya.
icipe has a proud reputation and history of delivering world-quality science that has made crucial contributions to African food and health policy, delivered development outcomes to rural communities, and has been at the forefront of building Africa’s biological research capacity.
The Centre’s research activities span the African continent with partnerships linking research organisations, not only across Africa, but also the globe.
In addition, more than 150 graduate students and a number of postdoctoral fellows contribute to icipe’s research portfolio annually.
The Bio-resources Innovations Network for Eastern Africa Development (Bio-Innovate) Programme is a regional initiative established in 2010 with support from Sida, Sweden to support bioscience research and innovation activities in eastern Africa.
It addresses regional priorities in science, technology and innovation aligned with the AU-NEPAD’s Science Technology and Innovation Strategy for Africa (STISA), the science agenda for Africa (S3A) and the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP).
Bio-Innovate’s goal is to improve productivity and profitability of smallholder farmers and agro-processors in eastern Africa, while ensuring environmental sustainability.
It seeks to promote inclusive growth by linking smallholder farmers to new market niches characterised by sustainable and resource-efficient value chains.
The Programme brings critical players from the public and private sectors together, to promote bioscience innovation in six eastern African countries, namely Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, and Uganda.
During its first implementation phase (2010–2015), the Programme had the goal of mobilising and deploying bioscience innovation systems to harness bio-resources in the eastern Africa region, whereby innovations for sustainable utilisation, transformation and integration of eastern Africa’s bio-resources would be discovered, developed, intensified, and disseminated to promote regional economic growth and development.
Phase II, hosted at the International Centre of Insect Physiology (icipe), focuses on developing more capacity and devoting more of its resources towards assisting innovation projects move further along the innovation chain into the market.
For more information on Bio-Innovate please visit: http://www.bioinnovate-africa.org/
icipe seeks to recruit a Finance and Administration Officer to work in the Bio-resources Innovations Network for Eastern Africa Development (Bio-Innovate) Programme.
The position is tenable in Nairobi at the icipe Duduville Campus, and is available to commence immediately.
This is a two-year contract, with a possibility of extension after successfully completing a six-month probation period of the first contract.
A competitive and generous compensation package will be offered to the right candidate.
Only shortlisted candidates meeting the itemised requirements will be contacted.
Overall Purpose of the Job: Reporting to the Programme Manager, the position holder will take lead in providing financial management and administrative support to ensure financial probity as well as efficient running of the programme management office.
- Provide administrative support for the programme, ensuring the office systems run efficiently and in a coordinated manner.
- Provide grant management support, ensuring financial, procurement and administration policies and procedures of the host institution are adhered to and also meet donor criteria.
- Develop and maintain proper financial systems that facilitate the recording and production of accurate financial reports that meet host institution’s internal control requirements.
- Assess financial management capacities of potential sub grantees and conduct capacity building activities in fund management as necessary.
- Support the call processes and facilitate contracting and management of sub grantees throughout the life of the programme.
- Conduct routine financial activities, including management of financial data in the accounting system, budgeting, asset management, and cash flow management in accordance with financial policies and procedures and application of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Ensure timely disbursement of funds to sub grantees and financial reporting for effective execution of projects’ activities.
- Review financial reports from sub grantees for accuracy and compliance with approved budget to feed into host institution’s financial system.
- Continuously review financial management strategies, policies and procedures for improvement.
- Develop and maintain sound partner relationships with sub grantees for effective and responsible project fund management.
- Develop and implement financial reporting and monitoring tools for programme sub grantees to use in the implementation of projects.
- Support other programme monitoring and evaluation activities, including periodic review and planning meetings, budget revisions.
- Prepare financial reports on a periodic basis for donor reporting.
- Facilitate external programme audits, including implementation of the recommendations thereof.
- Support the programme manager in resource mobilisation activities, including proposal development and budgeting.
Requirements / Qualifications
- Masters degree in business administration, project management or related discipline.
- A professional qualification in accounting profession is highly desirable.
- At least 5 years relevant experience in programme management in an international research or developmental NGO.
- Demonstrable experience in administration and financial management of donor-funded development programmes and/or projects.
- Knowledge of results-based management processes is an added advantage.
- Proven experience working with multiple projects with numerous partners.
- Excellent record keeping and computer data management skills.
Other desirable attributes
- Result Oriented/focused: Ability to consistently meet set goals.
- Focused and goal oriented: Ability to direct others to perform set duties.
- Professionalism: Application of ethics, principles, standards and expertise in all areas of work.
- Integrity: Honest, above reproach and appropriate in actions/behaviour and transparent in conduct.
- Teamwork, interpersonal relations: Ability to work in a team and with good networking and interpersonal skills.
- Good team worker: Working and relating with others in mutual support and respect towards common goals and shared vision.
- Multi-cultural fit and diversity: Ability to work effectively within a diverse and multicultural environment.
- Innovation and creativity: Ability to generate new ideas and ways of working to continuously improve existing work processes, practices, and concepts.
- Willingness to travel.
- Team player with excellent coordination and organisational skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of partners from multiple disciplines and backgrounds.
- Ability to work independently under pressure to meet tight timelines.
This position reports to the Programme Manager.
The selected candidate should be available to start as soon as possible.
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted up to 4th November 2016, or until the position is filled, whichever is earlier.
Interested applicants should submit:
(a) a confidential cover letter,
(b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees (including e-mail addresses, fax numbers), and
(c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org
icipe is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equity, teamwork, and respect for diversity.