The International Crisis Group is an independent organisation working to prevent wars and shape policies that will build a more peaceful world.
Senior Analyst, Kenya
Purpose of the role: Based in the Nairobi office, the Senior Analyst will research and produce reports on security, political, legal, governance, human rights and social issues related to Kenya and/or the region.
- Conducts extensive field research into prevailing issues of Kenya and/or its region;
- Provides written analyses on the key issues;
- Prepares detailed reports, briefing papers and derivative products (op-eds, commentaries, short notes) setting out relevant research findings and policy recommendations in concise and clear fashion;
- Proposes policy initiatives for governmental, intergovernmental, political, and non-governmental stakeholders to address the underlying issues;
- Advocates, both locally, nationally and internationally, when appropriate, and represents Crisis Group at events, meetings and in media interviews;
- Provide general support to the Project and/or Program Director with respect to current and future Crisis Groups activities and projects in the region.
- Bachelor’s degree in international relations, political science, journalism, sociology or equivalent through experience. Masters degree an asset;
- Three to five years professional experience in government, academia, international organisations, NGOs or journalism.
- Proven excellent writing skills and the ability to formulate well-targeted policy recommendations.
- Strong research and analytical skills and ability to propose policy interventions;
- Extensive knowledge of key issues in the region;
- Expertise covering governance issues, security sector reforms and institution building;
- A proven strong network of governmental and non-governmental officials, media and civil society in the country and region;
- Experience in political analysis and conflict prevention;
- Fluency in English; knowledge of local languages advantageous.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including good public presentation skills, and a very strong capacity for effective teamwork.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.