Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA)
Position: Research Associate – Tax Compliance Project
Deadline to Apply: Reviewed on rolling basis
Start Date: 21st November, 2016
Eligibility: Position open to both external and internal hires
Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA) is a non-profit organization dedicated to discovering and promoting effective solutions to global poverty problems.
In close partnership with decision makers — the policymakers, practitioners, investors, and donors working with the poor around the world — IPA designs and evaluates potential solutions to poverty problems using randomized evaluations, the most rigorous evaluation method available.
We also mobilize and support these decision makers to use these solutions to build better programs and policies at scale.
Program / Project Summary: IPA Kenya seeks qualified applicants for the position of Research Associate for the Tax Compliance Project that focuses on tax policies for small-medium firms and individuals.
This project arises from a collaboration between IPA, researchers from University of Zurich and Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA), one of the most innovative and respected tax authority in Sub-Saharan Africa.
The research study aims at designing and implementing a randomized control trial and shall examine the role of financial incentives and novel technologies in fostering tax compliance
Position Summary: The Research Associate will be based in Nairobi, Kenya while field visits will be in Nairobi and other select regions.
The Research Associate will take a lead role in collecting data in the field, managing a field team, managing large databases, piloting survey instruments and the interventions.
The Research Associate will work independently and maintain regular communication with the PI.
The position requires excellent interpersonal and organization skills. It also requires proficiency with Stata. Familiarity with other data management and statistical packages is a plus.
The position offers an opportunity to gain first-hand field management experience in an organization undertaking cutting-edge development research.
The main principal investigator is Lorenzo Casaburi, an Assistant Professor at University of Zurich.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Research Associate will work closely with IPA-Kenya Country Office and the Principal Investigators to perform a variety of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Sophisticated logistics planning, significant in-person oversight of implementing partner managing the intervention implementation.
- Manage multiple project data collection activities, including a baseline and follow up surveys of firms and individuals;
- Monitoring implementation quality;
- Checking and analyzing data, cleaning data and assisting with the analysis;
- Ensure all aspects of data quality;
- Design forms for electronic data collection (using SurveyCTO) and manage survey data;
- Work closely with current Research Manager, Principal Investigators and local partners to ensure study protocols are followed;
- Manage project budget, including tracking project expenses and adherence to the project budget;
- Assist with proposal writing, writing policy briefs & memos and donor reporting;
- Manage relationship with project partners;;
- A Bachelor’s degree in economics, statistics, social sciences, public policy, or related fields
- Excellent management and organizational skills along with strong quantitative skills
- Fluency and excellent communication skills in English and Swahili
- Kenyan Nationals strongly encouraged to apply
- Working knowledge of Stata
- Experience Managing large datasets
- Flexible, self-motivating, able to manage multiple tasks efficiently, a team player
- Assertive personality and demonstrated ability to manage high-level relationships with partner organizations
- Demonstrated ability to manage field teams and survey operations at different levels (programming and data flow, financial budgeting and reporting, human resources and team building).
- Master’s degree in economics, statistics, public policy or social sciences.
- Experience managing RCTs preferred.
- Familiarity with other data analysis software.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
NB: Please do not apply if unavailable on the above specified start date.
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Research Associate-Tax Compliance Project. The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities. Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary. Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA.