Kenya Revenue Authority is the National Revenue Collection Agency for the Government of Kenya.
Our Vision is: “To Facilitate Kenya’s Transformation through Innovative, Professional and Customer Focused Tax Administration”
KRA is seeking result oriented, self-driven individuals with high integrity to fill various vacant positions in the Corporate Support Services and Strategy Innovation and Risk Management Departments.
Job title: Chief Manager – Employee Relations
Ref: CM-CSS 10-50-2016
Supervisor: Deputy Commissioner – Human Resources
Job summary: The purpose of this role is to develop and maintain a conducive employee relations environment through providing guidance on labour laws and practices, staff welfare, discipline and grievances as well as involvement in maintaining positive relationships.
The job holder is responsible for developing and ensuring consistent application of employee relations policies and procedures.
S/he will also monitor staff motivation levels with a view of promoting employee satisfaction.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of an employee relations strategy across KRA in collaboration with the Deputy Commissioner Human Resources and the Senior Management Team.
- Leading employee relations projects and proactively working with HR colleagues in development of integrated solutions.
- Spearheading the development and implementation of the disciplinary policy and manage the administration of all discipline/grievance issues as per discipline /grievance procedures.
- Coaching managers to handle disciplinary issues and devolution of disciplinary handling to line managers to ensure compliance to labour and government regulations relating to staff issues.
- Liaising with Ethics and Integrity Department on disciplinary matters.
- Communicating disciplinary decisions to staff and line managers and ensure proper implementation of actions.
- Liaising with key committees and internal/external bodies shaping future policy in areas of employee relations and policy.
- Playing a leading role in developing a proactive and constructive dialogue with both the union officials and employees through regular engagement.
- Acting as the principal liaison with the union and leading the preparation of CBA Proposals and Co- ordination of the CBA negotiations and meetings.
- Representing the KRA in the Industrial Court over all industry-related matters.
- Liaising with the Legal Department on cases arising from the disciplinary process and represent KRA during court proceedings.
- Enforcing compliance with the Public Officers Ethics Act specifically regarding declaration of income, assets & liabilities.
- Preparing disciplinary process impact assessment reports.
Focus areas of responsibility
- Employee relations;
- Industrial relations;
- Disciplinary process management;
- Collective Agreement Bargaining; and
- Liaison with the Labour Union.
Academic and professional qualifications
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Sciences, Law or related field;
- A Higher Diploma in Human Resource Management;
- Membership to a relevant professional body;
- A relevant Master’s degree is an added advantage; and
- Any additional qualifications in Employee or Industrial Relations would be an added advantage. Experience
- At least five (5) years’ managerial experience in human resource management with at least two (2)years’ experience in labour and employee relations management; and
- Experience in planning and delivering employee relations initiatives
- Ability to assess potential problems and make sound judgments around issues that may have an adverse effect on the business from an employee relations
- Strong people management skills, gained through managing and developing teams;
- Sensitive people skills including a high level of emotional intelligence and a wide understanding of people issues;
- Strategic leadership and management skills;
- Complex problem solving and judgment and decision making skills;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Organizational and administrative skills;
- Proficiency in MS Office packages;
- Ability to effectively manage change;
- Ability to build a cohesive work environment; and
- Ability to engage stakeholders at all levels in the organisation.
Core behavioural competencies
Core competencies required for the role: These are patterns of behavior which will be required for a candidate to bring to this position in order to perform the required tasks and functions effectively.
Leading and deciding: Takes control and exercises leadership. Initiates action, gives direction and takes responsibility.
Deciding and initiating action
- Makes effective decisions even under difficult circumstances.
- Takes responsibility and shows initiative.
Leading and supervising
- Provides others with clear direction.
- Establishes standards of behaviour for others and motivates and empowers individuals.
Supporting and co-operating: Supports others and shows respect and positive regard for them in social situations. Puts people first, working effectively with individuals and teams, clients and staff. Behaves consistently with clear personal values which complement those of the organisation.
Working with people
- Demonstrates interest in others, works effectively in teams, builds team spirit and shows care and consideration for individuals.
Adhering to principles and values
- Upholds ethics and values, acts with integrity and promotes equal opportunities.
Interacting and presenting:- Communicates and networks effectively. Successfully persuades and influences others. Relates to others in a confident and relaxed manner.
Relating and networking
- Establishes effective relationships with customers and staff, networks effectively within and without the organisation and relates well to individuals at all levels.
Persuading and influencing
- Makes a strong impression on others, gains agreement and commitment through persuasion and negotiation. Manages conflict effectively.
Presenting and communicating information
- Speaks clearly and fluently, expresses opinions and arguments clearly and convincingly and makes presentations with confidence.
Analysing and interpreting:- Shows evidence of clear analytical thinking. Gets to the heart of complex problems and issues. Applies own expertise effectively. Quickly takes on new technology. Communicates well in writing.
Writing and reporting
- Writes clearly and succinctly in an interesting and convincing manner.
- Structures information in a logical manner to facilitate understanding by the intended audience.
Applying expertise and technology
- Applies specialist technical expertise, develops job knowledge and expertise and shares knowledge with others.
- Analyses data of a verbal and numerical nature and other sources of information, breaks information down into components, probes for further information and generates workable solutions to problems.
Creating and conceptualising:- Works well in situations requiring openness to new ideas and experiences. Seeks out learning opportunities. Handles situations and problems with innovation and creativity. Thinks broadly and strategically. Supports and drives organisational change.
Learning and researching
- Learns new tasks quickly, remembers information and gathers data for effective decision-making.
Creating and innovating
- Produces new ideas and insights, creates innovative products and solutions and seeks opportunities for organisational change and improvement.
Formulating strategies and concepts
- Works strategically to attain organisational goals, develops strategies and takes account of a wide range of issues that impact the organisation.
Organising and executing:- Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organised way. Follows directions and procedures. Focuses on customer satisfaction and delivers a quality service or product to the agreed standards.
Planning and organising
- Sets clear objectives, plans activities well in advance and manages time effectively.
Delivering results and meeting customer expectations
- Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction, sets high standards for quality and quantity and consistently achieves set goals.
Following instructions and procedures
- Follows instructions and procedures, adheres to schedules and demonstrates commitment to the organisation.
Adapting and coping:- Adapts and responds well to change. Manages pressure effectively and copes well with setbacks.
Adapting and responding to change
- Adapts to changing circumstances, embraces change, is open to new ideas and deals effectively with ambiguity.
Coping with pressures and setbacks
- Works productively in a stressful environment, controls emotions in difficult situations and handles criticism effectively.
Enterprising and performing:- Focuses on results and achieving personal work objectives. Works best when work is related closely to results and the impact of personal efforts is obvious. Shows an understanding of business, commerce and finance. Seeks opportunities for self-development and career advancement.
Achieving personal work goals and objectives
- Accepts and tackles demanding goals, works longer hours when necessary and identifies opportunities for progressing to more challenging roles.
Entrepreneurial and commercial thinking
- Keeps up to date with competitor information and market trends, identifies business opportunities and demonstrates
Candidates interested in the positions and meet the requirements are encouraged to apply on or before October 28th 2016.
CLICK HERE to download the personal history form.
Completed personal history forms together with a detailed CV and clearly marked with the reference number of each position should be addressed to:
Deputy Commissioner, Human Resources
Kenya Revenue Authority
Times Tower Building, Haile Selassie Avenue
P.O Box 48240-00100
Applications may also be hand delivered between 8.00 a.m. to 5.00 p.m. and dropped in the designated box on the Ground Floor of Times Tower Building, Haile Selassie, Avenue Nairobi.
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to gender mainstreaming and Persons with Disability are encouraged to apply.
KRA does not charge any application, processing, interviewing or any other fee in connection with the recruitment or the application process.
N.B. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.