M-KOPA is seeking:
Position Title: Operations Project Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Position Start: As soon As Possible
Reporting to: Head of Operations
About M-KOPA Solar: M-KOPA Solar, headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, is the global leader of “pay-as-you-go” energy for off-grid customers.
Since its commercial launch in October 2012, M-KOPA has connected more than 400,000 homes in Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda to solar power, and is now adding over 500 new homes each day.
The success of M-KOPA (M= mobile, KOPA= to borrow) stems from making solar products affordable to low-income households on a pay-per-use installment plan.
Customers acquire solar systems for a small deposit and then purchase daily usage “credits” for KES 50, or less than the price of traditional kerosene lighting. After one year of payments customers own their solar systems outright and can upgrade to more power.
All revenues are collected in real-time via mobile money systems (such as M-PESA in Kenya) and embedded GSM sensors in each solar system allow M-KOPA to monitor real time performance and regulate usage based upon payments.
This connected design means that M-KOPA is processing vast amounts of data (i.e. over 10,000 mobile payments per day) via the company’s proprietary cloud platform, M-KOPAnet.
As of September, 2016 M-KOPA employs over 700 full time staff across East Africa and sells through a network of over 1,000 direct sales agents. It has also commenced licensing its technology to partners in other markets.
M-KOPA has been recognized for its pioneering business mode and scale, notably winning the 2015 Zayed Future Energy Prize, being selected as the top New Energy Pioneer at the 2014 Bloomberg New Energy Finance awards and earning the 2013 FT/IFC Excellence in Sustainable Finance Award.
M-KOPA has also successfully tested a range of new products that leverage its relationship with customers, and M-KOPA’s unique competencies in mobile telecommunications and ICT.
To ensure that the research and development of new products add value to (and do not distract from) its core business, M-KOPA is establishing the M-KOPA Labs.
The Labs will be a dedicated business unit within M-KOPA that will define and test extensions of the M-KOPA asset-based credit model for off-grid-power to new products and services.
- Act as project manager or lead contributor on short- or long-term Operations projects
- Develop project strategies including: goals and objectives, stakeholder identification, resource and material requirements, critical dependencies, areas of potential risk, and delivery timelines
- Create detailed project plans, project summary and status reports, RAID logs, meeting notes, business requirements documents, and kick-off or status presentations
- Contribute to the design of new processes and existing process enhancements, including detailed written documentation and visual representation though the use of business process management and related tools
- Host project meetings and drive task completion in order to meet delivery timelines with project teams, including representatives from other business functions (Engineering, Sales, Market Development, Demand Supply Management, Logistics, Customer Care)
- Maintain active status report of current projects and pipeline projects. Proactively discuss project prioritization, business drivers, and potential or actual risks with the Head of Operations and Chief Operations Officer on a regular basis. Offer recommendations for changing prioritization, required escalations, and suggestions for new project initiatives
- Any other duties required to support the delivery of Operations products and services to internal and external customers
Requirements / Specification
- 2+ years of project management experience, having managed at least one entire complex project/product program from start to finish
- Strong command of core project management tools and methodologies
- Able to easily learn and understand new systems and technology platforms
- Critical thinking and solution design capabilities
- Able to communicate with all levels of leadership, driving action and persuading audiences
- Strong presentation and speaking skills (articulate, concise, engaging)
- Exceptional work ethic, able to self-manage a project portfolio through various delivery stages
- Detail oriented, excellent organizational skills, and critical problem solving abilities
- Intermediate to advanced MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project
- Experience in hardware/software or consumer electronics is beneficial but not required
Remuneration: Competitive covering a monthly salary, performance bonus and medical benefits reflective of the candidate’s experience and skills.
To apply, please logon HERE. Click on “click to apply” and follow the application instructions. It is advised to complete all the required fields as requested as well as any assessments stipulated as a requirement.
Please Note: Due to the large number of applications received by us, we regret that you will not be contacted unless you are short listed for the post and invited for an interview. Therefore, if you have not heard from M-KOPA within 4 weeks of the date of the deadline your application, you should assume that you have not been successful on this occasion.
This measure has been taken in the interests of efficiency and cost effectiveness and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.