Vacancy: Finance Officer, Africa
about developing and implementing solutions for hidden hunger, the
Micronutrient Initiative (MI) works in partnership with governments, the
private sector and civil society organizations to address micronutrient
deficiency and related health and nutrition problems in underserved
Governed by an international Board of Directors, MI
works in Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, and Latin America and reaches 500
million people in 70 countries.
headquarters in Ottawa, Canada MI maintains regional offices in New
Delhi, India and soon Nairobi, Kenya that manage our country offices in
Asia and Africa.
As we begin staffing our Africa Regional
Office in Nairobi Kenya we are seeking skilled and highly motivated
individuals to fill key positions in the areas of Finance, Nutrition,
Monitoring and Reporting, Contracting and Procurement, Human Resources
and support staff.
We are recruiting for the following position:
2. Overall Purpose / Broad Function:
- The Finance Officer is responsible for operational accounting for the 4 Country offices, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria and Tanzania, including review of monthly financial reports and operational payments.
- Verification up to preparation of budgets for GAC project Allocated and Indirect Expenses and sending for review to Senior Finance Officer.
- Verifies that the contract budgets are in line with the approved budgets.
- Responsible for processing weekly batch sheet and payments for the Country Offices
- Review and submit the mid-month and month end financial reports of the country offices to HQ
- Checks account coding, verifies the entry and signs off the voucher
- Verifies and processes all financial reports including bank reconciliations, petty cash reconciliations received from country offices
- Coordination with Bankers for payment transfers
- Processes procurement and service bills of suppliers, consultants and service providers.
- Processes travel expense reports/bills and other claims for the countries.
- Regularly scrutinizes the general ledger for analysis and rectification etc.
- Reviews and updates the Fixed Asset Registers for all countries within Africa Region.
- Reviews and provides travel MIS for all countries within the Region.
- Any other specific task assigned by the supervisor
- Minimum: Bachelor’s degree in Commerce with at least five years of working experience in finance, preferably in the development sector;
- Professional qualification in accountancy such as ACCA or Certified Public Accountant
- Fluent in English. Knowledge of other languages spoken in countries supported by MI is an asset.
- Skills in financial management and administration skills
- Superior interpersonal and people management skills
- Competent IT skills, i.e. Word, Excel advanced, and Outlook, knowledge of Great Plains will be an advantage
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Ability to work under pressure
- Multi-tasking ability with an analytical and methodical approach.
- Highest integrity, maturity and professionalism;
No telephone calls please.