The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents.
Terms of Reference
Title: Information Management Consultant (Kenya nationals only)
Duty Station: Dadaab, Kenya with frequent travel to Nairobi
Reporting To: NRC Area Manager, North-Eastern Kenya
1. Background: The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent, humanitarian, non-profit, non-governmental organisation providing assistance, protection and durable solutions to refugees and internally displaced persons worldwide.
NRC has been operational in Kenya since 2007 including working in Dadaab providing education, WASH and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) interventions in all five camps.
In the second half of 2016 NRC Kenya is significantly scaling up its cross-border activities which requires NRC to ensure that all additional complementary activities in Dadaab are of high quality, implemented on time and well coordinated with both humanitarian actors in Dadaab and with NRC Somalia and their international and local partners.
The overall objective of the consultancy is to support the effective and sustainable scale up for NRC Kenya’s cross-border programme in Dadaab.
- Support the set up of internal information management systems between NRC Kenya and Somalia to support the voluntary repatriation process. Establish a data information platform for key data, documentation and internal updates for area of return information and referrals between the two country offices in coordination with NRC Somalia.
- Support the development of area of returns information package and data management platform to be utilised at return help desks and during group information sessions.
- Support the development of associated updated information, education and communication materials (IEC) materials to support ICLA activities in Dadaab.
- Set up internal reporting systems for project activities and coordination between Dadaab and Nairobi on project implementation. Support the adaption of current M&E tools to cross-border programming.
- Ensure that project activities and achievements are well documented for donor engagement and external communication purposes.
The key deliverables for the consultancy include:
- Set up of internal information management systems between NRC Kenya and Somalia on area of return information. Ensure that the database and information platform/system are catered to NRC’s cross-border needs to provide accurate area of return information and meet internal standards for data protection.
- Finalisation of updated IEC materials/brochures on housing, land and property (HLP), legal identity and mine risk awareness.
- Develop and field test internal reporting tools including a dashboard and produce biweekly reporting based on information gathered for sharing between field country teams.
- Produce a series of external communication/donor reports/updated dashboards for NRC’s engagement with key stakeholders analysing the voluntary repatriation process, information on area of returns and implementation of NRC activities.
- End of consultancy report with analysis of provision of current information services in Dadaab and how these could be adapted based on enhanced information management tools to increase the protection beneficiaries.
4. Skills and Competencies
- Master’s degree in social sciences or a related field.
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively increasing management responsibilities in complex refugee/IDP programs or related social services programs of similar scope.
- Prior experience in designing and setting up internal information management systems.
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality donor reporting and external communication materials.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of Somali an asset.
NRC anticipates bringing on board full time until end of December 2016 (maximum period of two months).
- Location: Kenya
- Industry: Emergency Relief
- Special field: Information, Counselling & Legal Assistance
- Role: Consultant
Go to www.nrc.no to apply online