SNV is a non-profit international development organisation established in the Netherlands in 1965.
Are you interested in joining an Organisation with a long term commitment to fighting poverty? Would you like to work in a challenging environment and develop a career focused on demonstrating shared core values that achieve results?
SNV Kenya is looking for a Kenyan national to fill the position of:
Senior Advisor in Horticulture (agribusiness)
Based in Nairobi, Kenya
Kenya Market Led Horticulture Programme (hortIMPACT)
Programme Overview: HortIMPACT is a 5-year (2015-2019) programme, funded by the Netherlands Embassy in Kenya and it closely cooperates with Dutch and Kenyan entrepreneurs and makes use of their advanced technologies, products and market linkages in so-called business cases. The focus of the programme is on small and medium sized, entrepreneurial (SME) farmers.
Position Summary: Reporting to the hortIMPACT team leader, the senior horticulture advisor will have sufficient all-round skills and flexibility to work both with the business cases and the component of up-scaling and sector development and will have an agribusiness bias.
- Take lead in coordination and implementation of assigned hortIMPACT business cases: business planning, coordination, monitoring and reporting.
- Build capacities with business case companies, farmers and producer organisations, provide technical advice and manage service providers.
- Ensure business viability and supply coordination and facilitate, backstop where required.
- Ensure the three themes of reduction in food losses, food safety and inclusion are strongly imbedded and addressed in the BCs, including balancing benefits (gender equity).
- Liaise, coordinate and garner support from stakeholders (central or local government, other projects, etc).
- Contribute to the other hortIMPACT business cases where required.
- Contribute to analysis, knowledge and solution development around the three hortIMPACT themes and beyond.
- Contribute to up-scaling activities of hortIMPACT.
- Manage and control quality of service providers.
- Contribute to hortIMPACT’s Management for Results Framework and system.
- Advise and conduct market research; analyse information and disseminate to stakeholders.
- Work closely with the M&E support officer to undertake monitoring and evaluation on all business cases and other assigned activities.
- Responsible for the preparation of activity reports and contributing to SNV knowledge development agenda.
- Work with team members to organise hortIMPACT trade missions, conference and stakeholder forums.
- Work in close coordination with the rest of the team and undertake additional assignments as requested by the team leader.
- At least 8 –10 years of experience in fields relevant and related to this scope of work.
- Proven experience in agricultural marketing, private sector engagement, and business management.
- Experience in linking farmers to markets; credit and other service providers.
- Master’s degree in Agriculture, Agribusiness, Agriculture Economics or other relevant field.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with other programs, national & county governments, stakeholders and international agencies.
- Management, leadership, and interpersonal skills required.
- Result oriented and problem solving capacity
- Prepared to travel widely and undertake substantial fieldwork.
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills and capacity to facilitate dialogue across multiple sectors.
- Experience in reduction of food losses, food safety, working with producer as well as sector organisations and gender will be an advantage.
Expected start date: ASAP
Contract type: National
How to apply?
Please apply by submitting your application letter and CV that contains three referees as you apply with position title as subject / reference firstname.lastname@example.org before 16th October, 2016.
We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
NB: Only shortlisted will be contacted
Want to know more: Should you have questions about this vacancy prior to submitting your application, please contact our HR department via email@example.com.