Title: Programme Specialist
Domain: Natural Sciences
Post Number: 6KESC 0011RP
Organizational Unit: Field Offices
Primary Location: KE-Nairobi
Recruitment open to: Internal and external candidates
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Salary: 75,683 USD
Overview of the Functions of the Post: Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Natural Sciences and the functional authority from UNESCO Multi-Sectoral Regional Office for Eastern Africa and the direct supervision of the Senior Programme Specialist Natural Sciences, the incumbent will participate in the identification of needs, develop, plan, organize, implement, monitor, evaluate and provide technical support for UNESCO’s programmes and activities in Science Policy and Capacity Building in the Nairobi Office.
The incumbent will work within the frameworks of UNESCO’s Medium-Term Strategy (C/4), the Programme and Budget (C/5) and global developments plans such as Agenda 2030.
S/He will also participate in joint programming exercises within the framework of the UN Reform and ‘Delivering As One’, such as Common Country Assessments/United Nations Development Assistance Frameworks (CCA/UNDAF).
In particular, s/he will be expected to perform the following essential tasks:
- Contribute to the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of the programme and activities related to UNESCO’s Natural Sciences Sector funded under Regular and Extra Budgetary resources, in the area of UNESCO’s STI (Science, Technology and Innovation) and related initiatives, policy research and sector studies.
- Participate in the building of human and institutional capacities in science, technology and innovation institutions and programmes in the region;
- Provide advisory services, technical assistance, plan, execute and evaluate activities for UNESCO’s programmes for the advancement of women and youth in STI in the Member States in the region;
- Maintain close contacts with the concerned (sub-)regional/national/local authorities and contribute to the development of national science policies. In this context, maintain and ensure relations with science and technology institutions and relevant intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Support the development and implementation of science related programmes and activities in partnership with the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD) and the East African Community (EAC).
- Establish, develop and maintain cooperative links with National Commissions, science-related Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies, tertiary education and research and development (R&D) institutions;
- Identify, design and implement extrabudgetary projects to reinforce the office’s Regular Programme and contribute to resource mobilization in support of interdisciplinary programme activities in STI for the implementation of national and/or regional strategies for sustainable development in the Eastern Africa region.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) in the field of science policy, science governance, international development or in another natural sciences fields.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum 4 years of relevant professional experience in the field of sciences such as Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) of which at least 2 years acquired at regional and/or international level.
- Proven experience in the field of sciences coordination, programme management and in designing and implementing programmes/projects, as well as demonstrated expertise in science policy.
- Good analytical, organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills.
- Capacity to build and maintain effective working relations with national/local authorities, relevant institutions, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations.
- Proven ability to communicate and negotiate effectively and persuasively (orally and in writing) with various stakeholders at all levels, within and outside of the Organization.
- Knowledge of resource mobilization mechanisms.
- Ability to work effectively in a team and to function within a multicultural environment.
- Solid IT skills including knowledge of office software.
Languages: Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English and good knowledge of French.
- Professional experience in the UN System or other international development organization(s).
- Working experience within intergovernmental organizations and within government in the area of Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) in different regions of the world, particularly in Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in establishing and maintaining professional networks.
- Experience in promoting South-South cooperation in science policy and capacity building at the national and regional level.
- Relevant experience or training in sustainable development linked with 2030 Global Agenda.
Skills / Competencies
- Good knowledge of UNESCO’s work in the field and familiarity with activities of the Natural Sciences Sector.
- Familiarity with the work and general functioning of international organizations and/or the United Nations System.
- Knowledge of the geopolitical context of the region.
How to Apply
CLICK HERE to apply online
Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : November 17, 2016