Career Opportunity: Dance Choreographer
Bomas of Kenya (BoK) is a State agency with the mandate to preserve, maintain, educate and promote the rich and diverse cultural values of all of Kenya’s ethnic communities for tourism experience.
The position of the Dance Choreographer requires a qualified professional of international repute who will be able
to build and drive a competitive national cultural dance company that is globally recognized and that Kenyans are
The job holder will be expected to preserve the authenticity of the cultural dances of Kenya and portray
them in their most pure form while at the same time recognizing the changing global trends in performing arts.
Reporting to the General Manager, the Dance Choreographer will be responsible for, but not limited to the
- Auditions and selection of qualified artistes for training on stage performance and choreographic skills.
- To train dance instructors on dance choreographic skills and the trainee dancers and instrumentalists on
- To assist in research and study of storylines for cultural dances of Kenya folk music, instrumentation and
translate ideas and moods into creative dance steps and movements.
- To plan and coordinate rehearsals for dancers and instrumentalist as well as performances to a live
- To design curriculum for training and choreography of cultural dances: conduct research on new and
emerging types of dances and musical instruments and other artistic aspects of a show that accompany
an African dance.
- To coordinate theatre activities and assist in carrying out administrative duties of the dance company.
Requirements for Appointment
The ideal candidate must possess the following
- Bachelors degree in Performing Arts discipline or relevant field from a recognized Institute;
- Masters degree in Performing Arts/relevant field from a recognized Institution will be an added advantage:
- Have an established professional network and a deep understanding of the ethnic communities of Kenya in particular and African dances in general as well as the emerging trends in the national and international dance or theatre industry;
- Demonstrate ability to contribute to the process and elements of delivering large scale theatre based and outdooor dance performances:
- Skills in examining and re-engineering choreographic and performance skills in the existing dance troupe:
- Skills and higher level experience in training complex dance movements: mental and physical fitness for artistes: and managing a studio rehearsal schedule:
- At least 10 years’ experience in performing arts with a reputable dance or theatre company:
- An individual with excellent oral and written communication skills; strong leadership qualities; a track record of innovation and creativity with ability to manage change;
- Dynamic and strategically minded individual with a passion for performing arts and who is able to motivate teams and simultaneously manage several projects.
The Dance Choreographer shall serve on a one (1) year contract eligible for renewal subject to satisfactory performance.
Applicants should either email their applications and supporting documents to firstname.lastname@example.org
or send their application and detailed CV with copies of certificates, indicating current positions, qualifications.
working experience, current remuneration, names of at least three (3) professional referees and day time
telephone number to:
The General Manager
Bomas of Kenya Ltd.
P.O Box 40689 – 00100
Applications should reach us not later than 5pm on 5 December, 2016.
Only short-listed candidates shall be notified.