Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Vacancy Announcement No: VA-008-2016
Position Title: Assistant Operations Officer
Grade Level: SC8
Contract Type: Service Contract – NPP
Duty Station: Nairobi
Organizational Unit: FAO Representation Office in Kenya
Duration: 12 months with possibility of extension
Eligible Candidates: Kenyan Nationals
Anticipated Start Date: February 2017
General Description of Tasks and Objectives to be achieved: The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Representation in Kenya seeks to fill in the position of Operations Officer for implementation of the EU-funded project Support to the attainment of Vision 2030 through Devolved Land Reforms in Kenya (GCP/KEN/085/EC).
Reporting Line: Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative for Kenya, general supervision of the Head of the PST, the direct supervision of the Land and NRM sector head, the Operations officer will provide support to the Land programme in the following way:
Key function: Ensuring the timely delivery of all sector related operational inputs as well as maintaining excel records of planned project expenditure and commitments
- Immediately after project operationalization, plan with Responsible Officers and Project Mangers the services to be provided under MS 507 and MS 502, taking account of timing, linkages and consider the appropriateness of each manual section
- Support project managers to develop procurement requests, request for quotations and bid documents which comply with FAO regulations and are of sufficient quality to clear initial QA by the sector head.
- Track all procurement requests and follow up where necessary in order to ensure timely delivery to the field.
- Maintain a register of where all assets procured by the projects are, ensure proper hand over of assets, and liaise with Finance Unit for recording into the FAO corporate assets register.
- In collaboration with other sector officers, compile a list of technical specifications for commonly procured items
- Insert all project, commitment and planned commitment into excel allotment forms and appraise project managers and sector heads of delivery on a monthly basis
- Maintain an up to date register of all sector contracts and LOAs on the Shared Drive (Contract / LOA no., PO n., Service Provider, Project, Dates of Signature by FAO and SP, Date of Closure, Reporting Deadlines, Report Clearance dates, Payment dates, Amendments) and Contacts of SP: Signatory, Technical Responsible and Financial Officer .
- Review the adequacy of the Financial Reports submitted from service providers and (in collaboration with the PMU and CSU) request additional info where appropriate
- Submit financial and narrative reports (from service providers) to CSU for payment once cleared by sector head
- Perform other related duties and activities upon instructions received from sector head
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social science, Education, Community Development, Programme Management or related Fields.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience working in a similar position; more specifically experience in programme design and project cycle management.
- Must have fluency in English.
- Good communication, analytical, presentation and reporting skills and a team player.
- Competency in the use of Computer Applications MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint.
Proven experience with UN regulations and procedures will be an added advantage.
How to Apply:
Candidates are requested to submit their application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position title and vacancy announcement number.
A duly completed Personal Profile Form (PPF) generated from FAO’s iRecruitment portal as a PDF-file is to be submitted by email together with a cover letter.
Please note that attached resumes or CV’s in place of the PPF will not be accepted.
In order to prepare a Personal Profile Form, you must first register on the FAO iRecruitment site by clicking on the following link to register: http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/
In order for your application to be properly evaluated, please ensure that all sections of the on-line profile are completed.
Deadline for Application: 13 November 2016
Applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
This vacancy is open to both male and female candidates.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.