Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Vacancy Announcement No: VA-009-2016
Position Title: Land Technical Officer
Grade Level: SC8
Contract Type: Service Contract – NPP
Duty Station: Tanariver, Turkana Samburu, Marsabit, Baringo,Nandi, Westpokot and Laikipia Counties
Organizational Unit: FAO Representation Office in Kenya
Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
Eligible Candidates: Kenyan Nationals
Anticipated Start Date: February 2017
General Description of Tasks and Objectives to be achieved: The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) Representation in Kenya seeks to fill in the position of Land Technical officer for implementation of the EU-funded project Support to the attainment of Vision 2030 through Devolved Land Reforms in Kenya (GCP/KEN/085/EC).
Reporting Line: Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Kenya and the technical guidance of the Sector Head and in close collaboration with the Programme Manager, the Land Technical Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Key Function: The Land Technical Officer shall represent FAO to other stakeholders and be responsible for the implementation of activities in one of the following eight counties: Tana River, Turkana, Samburu, Marsabit, Baringo, Nandi, West Pokot and Laikipia.
- In close coordination with the Programme Manager, act as a County Programme Officer (CPO) for the full implementation of scheduled activities on the land programme.
- Plan and report (in the web-based database) all county activities on a monthly basis in collaboration with county programme and administrative officers and in consultation with sector heads.
- Provide the first level of line management to county programme officers and support their engagement with the relevant county ministries under guidance of the programme manager, provide technical support for the establishment and trainings of partner institutions in the County.
- Guide and provide technical advice on the identification of existing policies, institutional and legal gaps/conflicts for sustainable governance of community lands and natural resources in alignment of the FAO county programme with a) the CPF and b) the CIDP.
- With support from the Programme Manager, provide methodological recommendations for inclusive and negotiated Land Use Planning with the County Government.
- Promote and technically support county government and community groups trained on Voluntary Guidelines and other related FAO tools, e.g. Participatory Land Delimitation (PLD) methodology, Improving Gender Equality in Territorial Issues (IGETI), etc. for monitoring efficiency and transparency in community land administration and management and training on provisions of the new legal frameworks for land governance.
- In the absence of a Head of County, the Land Technical officer shall represent FAO in holding regular meetings with senior county government officials and being the prime point of contact between the County Governor and FAO Kenya.
- Monitor the progress and execution of activities as per the work plan, and perform other duties as required
- University degree in Natural Resource Management, Land Management, Land Administration, Surveying, or Legal studies required.
- At least 4 years of experience in natural resource management programmes at national level.
- Excellent understanding of the Kenya policy context in relation to land and natural resource management and climate change
- Familiarity with FAO modus operandi and other UN programming approaches or previous experience in working for INGOs and/or NGOs
- Knowledge of FAO methodologies and other relevant studies to perform this work.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent strategic visioning, creative thinking and problem solving skills.
- Competence in Result Based Management and Participatory Monitoring and Evaluation tools.
- Excellent working knowledge of computer applications (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and GIS).
- High level of integrity and accountability, flexible approaches to work and commitment.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks and work under pressure with a wide range of individuals and institutions
How to Apply:
Candidates are requested to submit their application by email to email@example.com quoting the position title and vacancy announcement number.
A duly completed Personal Profile Form (PPF) generated from FAO’s iRecruitment portal as a PDF-file is to be submitted by email together with a cover letter.
Please note that attached resumes or CV’s in place of the PPF will not be accepted.
In order to prepare a Personal Profile Form, you must first register on the FAO iRecruitment site by clicking on the following link to register: http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/
In order for your application to be properly evaluated, please ensure that all sections of the on-line profile are completed.
Deadline for Application: 13 November 2016
Applications received after the closing date will not be given consideration.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
This vacancy is open to both male and female candidates.
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.