Vacancy: Head of Advocacy Programme
The African Women’s Development and Communication Network (FEMNET), a pan-African women’s rights Organisation, is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the position of Head of Advocacy Programme.
This position provides an opportunity to manage and support exciting advocacy initiatives and campaigns on women’s human rights in a stimulating, multicultural and dynamic environment.
The position is based in FEMNET Secretariat in Nairobi and involves travel across Africa and other parts of the world.
- Supporting and facilitating the African women’s movement to develop and use regional, sub-regional and international policy frameworks in advocacy for the full realization of the human rights for African women and girls
- Initiate and coordinate necessary research to inform policy influencing and programming in Gender Equality and Women’s Human rights focusing on areas of FEMNET Strategic plan
- Maintain effective networks with FEMNET’s constituencies on advocacy issues that support African women’s development and empowerment, gender equality and the promotion of women’s human rights at national, regional and international levels;
- Through consultations with members and partners develop advocacy tools and materials such as policy briefs, policy recommendations, and petitions etc to advance key advocacy messages.
- Liaising with the Capacity Building programme to build advocacy and lobbying skills among African women so as to influence governments and intergovernmental organisations (IGOs) to develop and implement policies that promote the rights of African women and girls
- Managing and leading the advocacy initiatives on implementation of 2030 agenda and Africa Agenda 2063, the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), the African Union (AU) programmes on gender equality, and programming on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights, ending Violence against women, women’s leadership and Economic justice. , Financing for Development among others
- Coordinating and facilitating the advocacy and lobbying activities at the African Union (AU), UN and national Government levels working with FEMNET members, other stakeholders and partners.
- Liaising with the Communication Programme to sustain communication with FEMNET’s constituencies on the gender and developments within the advocacy programme;
- Working closely with the Executive Director and Program Manager to mobilize resources for the Advocacy Programme;
- Facilitating the timely reporting of the implementation of the Advocacy Programming on a quarterly and annual basis, donor reports and as may be otherwise required by the Executive Director or the Program Manager;
- Manage and provide guidance to the staff, volunteers and interns under the Advocacy programme
- Advising the Executive Director as to any needs relating to the Advocacy Programme.
- Represent FEMNET in strategic meetings/forums that provide opportunity to advance FEMNET’s mission.
- Developing advocacy messages, policy briefs and drafting communiqués/declarations and statements on outcome of conferences and meetings
Skills and competencies
- Be a masters degree holder in Social Sciences, Gender and Development, Law, or any other relevant degree
- Have at least 5 years of leadership relevant work experience at regional, sub- regional and international level
- Have experience in projects’ management including projects development, Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning and producing quality project/programme reports.
- Proven experience working in the area of women’s rights and gender equality
- Proven experience in, exposure to, and capability for collaborative work, nurturing of networks and alliances.
- Knowledge of and experience in conducting research and organizing advocacy initiatives at the regional and international levels that promote women’s rights and women’s empowerment in Africa;
- Analytical, creative, strategic and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to simplify, summarize and communicate complex information, including presentation skills in both English and French;
- Good communications, interpersonal and networking skills, including the ability to work with a diverse range of people and organisations and networks at the national, regional and international levels;
- Diplomatic and lobbying skills, including knowledge of the differing political contexts within Africa (anglophone, arabophone, francophone and lusophone);
- Pro-activeness and self-motivation with the ability to work very well within a team environment;
- The ability to plan and work within tight deadlines;
- Capacity to use the media including traditional and social media to promote the regional campaigns to advocate for African women’s rights.
- Computer literacy, including electronic networking skills;
- Able to motivate people, build and nurture networks of contacts
- A proven encourager and promoter of an environment of support conducive to cooperation, collegiality, consultation and collaboration
- Be prepared to live in Nairobi and willing and able to travel within the Africa region and beyond.
- Willing to adhere to feminists’ beliefs, values and principles that guide FEMNET’s work and programming framework.
Remuneration will be in line with the set procedures of the organizations and the experience and qualifications of the candidate.
Interested candidates are requested to submit a Curriculum Vitae with 3 references, salary expectations with a 1 page motivational letter explaining why you are a good candidate for the position by email to: email@example.com.
Please use “Head of Advocacy” as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed.
Deadline for submission of applications is Wednesday November 23, 2016 by COB.
Please note: Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.