Hivos East Africa seeks qualified candidates for the position of Programme Officer, Renewable Energy
Number of hours: 40
Region: East Africa
About Hivos: Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources.
Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Job context: The Programme Officer is responsible for the growth and development of new and/or existing Renewable Energy programmes in the region, consistent with Hivos’ vision and standards for renewable energy.
He/She will be the main contact between Hivos, donors, and partners in the development of new and /or existing initiatives that provide for strategic and innovative programme expansion for organizational growth.
The successful candidate will work closely with other Programme Development Officers and Programme staff in the Hivos East Africa office.
This position is based in Nairobi with regular travel and visits to donors, partners, and relevant actors in the region. This role may involve some international travel.
If you are passionate about Renewable Energy, this is an excellent opportunity to develop and create programmes that seek to increase renewable energy access to East Africans.
In the position, you will be able to develop and champion new, innovative and disruptive ways of changing how we look at, and access renewable energy in East Africa.
1. Plan for, develop and resource Programmes in relation to Hivos’ priorities and strategies in the renewable energy domain.
- With partners, staff members and other stakeholders where you will work to co-create & develop innovative programmes that seek to address identified opportunities in accordance with Hivos’ Renewable Energy Goals;
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization;
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the programme.
2. Designing and implementing a strategy to identify, track, and secure suitable and sufficient funding and resources to support Hivos’ evolving work in renewable energy.
- Identifying and proactively pursuing grants and fundraising opportunities;
- Preparing grant applications, concept notes and proposals to donors;
- Coordinating fundraising activities and events;
- Seeking in-kind, financial, and/or pro-bono support from relevant partners, companies, governments and service providers;
- Building a solid donor intelligence network/base representing the local, regional, and international donor communities, with a view to expanding Hivos’ green energy portfolio;
- Establishing and participating in formal and informal networks with relevant partners, donors, and actors;
- Building strategic and lasting partnerships with investors, donors, governments, development partners and the private sector.
3. Actively participating and contributing to financial forecasting at the project and organizational level to determine necessary funding and resource requirements.
4. Securing suitable and sufficient funding and resources to support Hivos’ operational requirements.
5. Actively representing the organization’s program development interests at relevant meetings, events, and within resource mobilization or donor-specific peer networks, as they relate to Hivos’ work.
6. Provide other programmatic, research, administrative, and logistical support as needed.
- Must be passionate about renewable energy.
- Masters degree in Energy Management or in Energy and Environmental Management or with an (Electronic)-Engineering background with an additional commercial degree.
- Demonstrable experience and knowledge of the Renewable Energy sector and issues in Kenya or Uganda, or Tanzania (or all three).
- Minimum 3 years of post-graduate work experience in the renewable energy field ideally in carrying out nonprofit programme development and/or fundraising within the private sector and/or international development organizations.
- Demonstrated donor network in Kenya (required) and in the region (preferred).
- Ability to work on short-term assignments with tight deadlines while managing multiple tasks and pipelines.
- Ability to work independently, and function effectively as a member of a global team, and adhere to strict deadlines.
- Excellent research and analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills.
- Good networking, marketing, proposal development skills.
- Excellent negotiating and networking skills.
- High levels of personal integrity and accountability.
What we offer
We offer a competitive package based on the candidate’s qualifications.
Like to apply?
Kindly send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com explaining why you are the suitable candidate for this position no later than 30th November, 2016.
Your letter should state your current and expected salary.