Hivos East Africa seeks qualified candidates for the position of Social Innovation Specialist
Vacancy Name: Social Innovation Specialist
Number of hours: 40
Region: East Africa
About Hivos: Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources. Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough.
Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Job Context: Hivos’ Strategy, Communications and Innovation Unit (SCI) plays a pivotal role in supporting Hivos staff to develop new solutions and sharing them widely.
The Social Innovation Specialist is positioned within SCI to internally increase the space for innovation and support development of new solutions as well as make connections between the external Social Innovation field and colleagues around the world.
Do you have a strong track record in social innovation, using innovative co-creative methodologies to bring about social change?
Are you an inspiring process facilitator that can deal with complexity on the one hand and support concrete steps for implementation on the other?
Is exploring ideas, supporting innovative projects and enabling others to collaborate to come to change making interventions something that drives you? If so, you may be who we are looking for!
The Social Innovation Specialist offers internal support and coaching to colleagues, guiding them in the pitching, follow through and implementation of project ideas in collaboration with external partners.
You will build on, create and update tools and methodologies for social innovation and engage programme staff and partners to use these in their day-to-day work.
You are a motor for iteration and continuous learning, and up-to-date with developments in the field of Social Innovation and International Development, where you will represent Hivos on several occasions.
You spot new trends in these fields and are not afraid to push for edgy programme ideas within the scope of Hivos’ mission. In addition, together with your colleagues, you contribute to Hivos’ ambition to be a learning organisation.
- Proven track record in social innovation and social design methodologies.
- You have a can do mentality with experience in project management and the facilitation of multi-actor platforms.
- Familiar with the coaching of individuals through various innovation and program development cycles.
- Able to ‘think outside the box’ and to apply creative approaches that challenge mainstream thinking and practices. In doing so, you are able to balance power relations and ensure a strong citizens voice.
- Strong analytical skills that allow you to challenge current work practices and enhance learning amongst Hivos staff and key stakeholders.
- Flexible team player and are sensitive to different cultural environments.
- Partnership builder, able to inspire and take along various players.
- Possess university degree in a relevant field and a minimum of 7 years working experience in an international purpose-driven environment, preferably in the world of international development and social innovation.
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English.
- You are willing to travel internationally
- You are willing to work across various time zones as needed
What we offer
We offer a competitive package based on the candidate’s qualifications.
Like to apply?
Kindly send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the suitable candidate for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 30th November, 2016.
Your letter should state your current and expected salary.