Hivos East Africa seeks qualified candidates for the position of Programme Manager, Green Foods & Productive Landscapes
Number of hours: 40
Region: East Africa
Office: Nairobi, Kenya
About Hivos: Hivos is an international organisation that seeks new solutions to persistent global issues. With smart projects in the right places, we oppose discrimination, inequality, abuse of power and the unsustainable use of our planet’s resources.
Counterbalance alone, however, is not enough. Our primary focus is achieving structural change. This is why we cooperate with innovative businesses, citizens and their organisations. We share a dream with them of sustainable economies and inclusive societies.
Job Context: The Green Society’s, Green Foods and Productive Landscapes portfolio collaborates with regional, national and local organizations to enhance the economic position of rural entrepreneurial men and women.
Key areas of work include sustainable agriculture, strengthening smallholder organizations, access to markets, finance and business development, green growth and climate smart technologies, sustainable energy and carbon finance.
Gender and youth are cross cutting themes in Hivos East Africa green foods programs. The coffee programmes in this portfolio consist of two main programmes- the sustainable, Secure Smallholder Systems at Scale (4@Scale) and the Gender & Generational Empowerment Programme.
Reports to: Regional Director, Hivos East Africa
Oversees supervision: Project Managers (2); Programme Officers (2); Business Development Officer (1)
Team Size: 8-10 staff in Kenya, Uganda & Tanzania
The Programme Manager oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of the Green Foods and Productive Landscapes Programme including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and overseeing program activities.
1. Programme Implementation: Overall management and coordination of programmes and projects in the green foods and productive landscapes portfolio in East Africa including but not limited to:-
- Provide strategic and technical oversight to ensure programmes deliver high quality outputs with accuracy, consistency and on time.
- Ensure regular field visits to all program sites and maintain strong and productive relationships with implementing partners, stakeholders and donors.
- Oversee adaptive management and provide regular feedback on work plans, reports and budgets to ensure the programmes remain relevant.
- With Project Managers and Officers, maintain excellent and healthy donor relations and ensure partners adhere to grant agreements.
- In collaboration with the Finance Manager & Project leads, prepare and monitor programme budgets and conduct modifications when necessary.
- Lead and manage programme monitoring and evaluation for continuous learning, improvement and growth.
- To assess the levels of risks associated with program implementation and suggest mitigation strategies.
- Ensure donor reports are submitted to donors in the best possible quality and with strict adherence to donor reporting guidelines.
- Promote brand visibility through innovative communication and information dissemination e.g. through policy briefs, media briefs, reports, strategic infographics etc.
2. Plan for, Develop & Resource Programmes: Ensure strategic relevance and continuation of Green Food and Productive Landscape programmes through proposal development and building mutually beneficial relationships with potential donors and partners.
- With partners, staff members and other stakeholders, work to co-create & develop innovative programmes that seek to address identified opportunities in accordance with Hivos’ Green Food & Productive Landscape goals.
- Plan the overall delivery overall programme and its activities.
- Develop new initiatives to support the strategic direction of the organization.
- Develop and implement long-term goals and objectives to achieve the successful outcome of the programme.
- Develop an annual budget and operating plan to support the programme.
- With the Design, M& E and Learning Staff, develop a programme evaluation framework to assess the strengths of the programme and to identify areas for improvement.
- Develop funding proposals for new and existing programmes to ensure the continuous delivery of services, supervise and support the business development officer and other staff in development of fundable proposals, and ensure proposal quality before submission to the Regional Director.
- Work closely with the Business Development officer to gather donor intelligence and identify potential sources of funding.
- Maintain excellent donor relations through close consultation with the Regional Director as required.
- Represent Hivos to donors, government officials, UN agencies, other development partners and other stakeholders as needed.
3. Human Resource Management: S/he is responsible for performance management of all staff reporting to him/her.
- Manage staff development through performance based management and leadership.
- Create a conducive work environment and team culture for professional growth and development of personnel at all levels.
4. Provide Leadership: The post holder will be a member of the Hivos East Africa Management Team.
- Be part of the organisation’s management team and support the Director through useful contributions and taking on additional roles as may be required.
- Contribute to the development of the overall Regional strategy.
- Represent Hivos & Green Food through active participation and constructive engagement in regional and global platforms.
- At least 5-8 years of managing diverse teams: Able to manage a diverse team of persons and teams drawn from multiple countries and in multiple disciplines and sectors. This includes an ability to inspire teams to deliver quality results and promote partnership collaboration.
- An Advanced university degree in Agriculture and Rural Development, Development Economics, Environmental Science, or closely related disciplines.
- At least 5-8 years experience in programme and financial management.
- Demonstrable experience & track record in working with international donors in substantial programmes.
- Demonstrable track-record in programme development and resource mobilization.
Working Conditions: The Programme Manager will be based in the Kenya office, but with frequent and regular travel to the Uganda and Tanzania offices.
The Programme Manager is expected to travel frequently to remote parts of rural Africa, and internationally to represent Hivos as needed.
What we offer
We offer a competitive package based on the candidate’s qualifications.
Like to apply?
Kindly send your CV and cover letter explaining why you are the suitable candidate for this position to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 30th November, 2016.
Your letter should state your current and expected salary.