HOVIC (Hope for Victoria Children)
Job Title: Project Officer – Wasichana Twaweza Project
Reporting: Deputy Director and Head of Programs
HOVIC (Hope for Victoria Children) is a local a non-governmental organization established in 2003 as a self-help group and registered as an NGO in 2008.
Its establishment was necessitated by the evident gap in responding to the plight of vulnerable children in Kenya. Our programs focus on the Western Kenya region but support children from all parts of the Country.
We exist to empower vulnerable children and young people living and depending on the streets and girls in the hidden sector and their communities.
We deliver this by providing dignified livelihoods that include; shelter and care, education, health, food and nutrition, child protection, psychosocial support, trainings, apprenticeship and economic empowerment of vulnerable children and households.
We are seeking to hire a Project Officer who will be responsible for providing ideas for business development, enhancement and growth of the entrepreneurship and employability component of our program, implement and coordinate the ‘Wasichana Twaweza’ project.
- Plan, coordinate and execute a training/skills needs assessment to align the provision of skills to the fast growing social and economic sectors within the project areas.
- Take lead in the implementation and coordination of the DREAMS ‘Wasichana Twaweza’ project.
- Develop or adopt relevant programs for short term tailor made skills training, apprenticeship, mentorship and internship for young women and girls.
- Develop collaboration and networking mechanisms with training institutions, other organizations and businesses to enhance the livelihood and employability benefits and opportunities for young women.
- Develop and mentor micro businesses and track their progress and impact through the B2B approach.
- Research models for entrepreneurship programs and take lead in integrating best practices to further grow the businesses.
- Provide market linkages to enable young women to successfully set up, grow businesses and access gainful employment.
- Promote the entrepreneurship and job readiness program through traditional and social media outlets including advocacy for the rights and equal opportunity for girls and young women.
- Develop a network of young business women and stakeholders to serve as support and practical training platforms.
- Design, implement and organize events and activities to support growth of the businesses and link young women and girls to HIV prevention and care services.
- Provide monthly, Quarterly and annual reports reports on the programs progress for the donors and for internal use.
- Train, coach and support the team working on ‘Wasichana Twaweza’ project so as to deliver on project outcomes.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- A post graduate degree or diploma in business studies in a relevant field, with a first degree in any of the social sciences.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in designing and implementing community development projects.
- Demonstrate leadership skills and ability to work with marginalized youth and young women
- Ability to mentor, coach or train individuals in business concepts, leadership etc.
- A solid foundation in the fundamentals of entrepreneurship. Working with start-up businesses or academic training in business methods will be an asset.
- Ability to build partnerships and work in teams
- Experience in skills training or workshop facilitation
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written
How to Apply
Please send your CV only quoting the job title on the email subject (Project Officer – Economic Empowerment) to admin@ hovic.org by Thursday 17th November 2016.
Kindly indicate current/last salary and expected slary.
Only applicants meeting the strict criteria outlined above will be contacted as part of the short listing process.